It’s no secret that I adore Disney’s line of Tsum Tsum’s (here’s a post I wrote about while anticipating the first Star Wars collection, and one about my addiction to the app game) so when I heard that Marvel would be incorporating the incredibly adorable toys into some of their variant covers, I was beyond excited! In addition to the covers, there’s going to be an in-continuity Tsum Tsum miniseries written by Jacob Chabot and illustrated by David Baldeon. The story follows a crate of Tsum Tsum’s who think they’re actually the heroes they’ve been designed after who get lose in Brooklyn. My absolute favorite of the variant covers has to be Chris Samnee’s Spider-Man cover but I also really love Joelle Jones’s Moon Girl and the Devil Dinosaur. There are going to be 20 variants in all but below are my top 5! Although the Captain Marvel Tsum variant isn’t included below, it does make me wish that she’ll appear in a future collection!
I can honestly say that I never thought I would live in a world where I would find the Spider-Man purse of my dreams and then not be able to afford it. Not to mention, it’s a Spider-Man purse being released by high fashion designer VALENTINO. Ladies and gentlemen, that is not a typo. Neiman Marcus describes this exclusive design as an abstract Spider-Man motif. This leather purse is crafted in Italy and officially licensed by Marvel Comics. If you happen to have an extra $4,595.00 laying around you can pre-order this beautiful accessory here (and I will be forever jealous of you). I feel like this purse pairs perfectly with one of my favorite limited series of Spider-Man comics entitled Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane which is written by Sean McKeever and illustrated by Takeshi Miyazawa. You may be thinking, really (since I am very vocally Team Gwen)? But this series is very Gwen Stacy heavy and the artwork is delightful so yes, it will forever be a favorite of mine!
We did this topic last year for 5 Fandom Friday as well but it’s such a fun one to include because people are always discovering new characters and fandoms so everyone on your list from last year might not make it this year. This year I decided to shake things up and post 5 couple’s costumes that I want to dress up as with Andrew at some point in the future. We don’t have anything big planned for this Halloween (besides the aforementioned pie-baking, Halloween-candy-eating and scary-movie-watching) so Andrew and I will be saving our costumes for Kelly & Erika’s annual after-Halloween Halloween party. I’m not going to reveal our plan just yet but here are some characters I want us to dress up as in the future!
1) Bilbo & Gandalf – Andrew already has the height going for him to be Gandalf and since Gandalf is my favorite character I would love to see Andrew dressed up as him. Also, being Bilbo will give me an excuse to eat a million meals in a day and walk around barefoot.
2) Rapunzel & Flynn – This is one of my favorite Disney films and Rapunzel and Flynn are the characters in the Disney World that most closely resemble us. We have something planned involving Tangled but I’m not allowed to say what it is just yet :-)
3) Jack & Sally – I toyed with the idea of dressing as these characters this year but we ultimately went with something else. I would rather save a classic like Jack and Sally for when we have something huge planned!
4) Harry Potter & Luna Lovegood – I can’t think of any reason why I wouldn’t want to do a couples Harry Potter cosplay. Luna is my favorite character and I chose Harry for Andrew since he’s so easily identifiable but I would be open to letting him choose a different character.
5) Spider-Man & Spider-Gwen – We actually have each other listed in our phones as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. I love both of these characters and now that Gwen is webslinging in an alt universe I think it would be incredible to pair her up with Spidey in our universe.
This week’s 5 Fandom Friday is a tough topic to write about for two reasons. The first is emotionally because guhhh fandom deaths when you’re really attached to a character are seriously difficult to cope with and the second reason is because I feel bad and I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone else! Especially if they haven’t seen something or they’re currently in the middle of watching / reading whichever thing I mention. So be warned, there are spoilers ahead for Doctor Who, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Harry Potter, The Lion King (hopefully everyone has seen this one!) and The Avengers.
1. Amy & Rory Pond – I was a total bawling mess during Amy and Rory’s final episode of Doctor Who which took place in NYC and probably added even more to my sadness. The show has not been the same without them and I still haven’t warmed up to Clara :-/
2. Gwen Stacey – This is my number one saddest comic and movie death. I love Gwen Stacey so much and I have always wished that Peter Parker would’ve gotten to explore a future with Gwen instead of Mary Jane. While I have grown to like MJ a bit more, I still don’t love her relationship with Peter.
3. Sirius Black – This KILLED me as a child. I remember feeling so happy that Harry was finally going to have a live-in father figure in his life. Someone who would love and care about him as if he were his own son and be able to share memories of his parents and then it was all taken away so quickly. I can’t imagine that and it just crushed my heart into a million little pieces.
4. Mufasa – Another death that really had kid Kristin crying her eyes out. Not only did Simba have his father taken away from him by his crazy evil uncle, but he had to watch the moment that it happened and even worse, he was a cub who was completely incapable of helping or trying to save him from falling off the cliff. I can’t even imagine how I would fare if I tried to watch this film again now.
5. Agent Coulson – I know this death didn’t stick but at the time it was a lot to handle! I haven’t kept up with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. despite loving Clark Gregg so I’m not privy to the reason that he’s still alive in the MCU. I couldn’t even look at Captain America for a while without seeing those bloody trading cards *insert crying emoji*
Which fandom deaths affected you the most? And again, I am SUPER sorry if I’ve spoiled anything for anyone!
Writing this post has caused me to start thinking about the next time I’ll be able to hop on a plane to Florida to visit Kristin and go to Disney and Harry Potter World<3 We always have so much fun when we’re together and I think a visit is long overdue!
1) Hogwarts Castle Ride @ Universal – Just being in Harry Potter world is a big enough treat, but going on the Hogwarts Castle ride and seeing Hogwarts in such great detail is an absolute dream come true! The only part I don’t love is the spiders!
2) Star Tours @ Disney World – This is my favorite of any theme park ride and anytime I’m at Disney, I beeline for Star Tours. I love feeling like I’m actually in space. I haven’t ever been lucky enough to be the rebel yet, but I’m hopeful that it’ll happen one day!
3) Indiana Jones ride @ Disneyland – I wish this ride was also at Disney World because Florida is way more convenient to get to than California.
4) Peter Pan’s Flight @ Disney – While Disney’s Peter Pan is my least favorite interpretation of J.M Barrie’s play, I do really love the ride! It’s so exciting to see all the characters and be taken through Neverland.
5) Spider-Man ride @ Universal – I love all the easter eggs in this ride! Even when you’re just waiting on the line, you pass by Ben Ulrich’s office among others. I tend to prefer simulated rides because I’m a big baby when it comes to roller coasters not even because of the speed and drops but because I just imagine how bad it could be if the ride breaks. Which actually happened on this ride and I was terrified while Kristin just laughed at me and talked about how the ride was actually exciting for once. She’s quite the daredevil.
PAST & UPCOMING TOPICS
Last night when I logged into instagram I was met with a wonderful surprise! One of my favorite artists, pr1ps, drew a sketch of me and I love it to pieces! She drew me in a Spider-Man tank top and I’m accessorized with Sailor Moon earrings and a pearl necklace. It’s just so perfect<3 I immediately updated numerous social media icons of mine because I’m so excited / flattered!
At long last, Sideshow Collectibles is adding Black Cat to their J. Scott Campbell Spider-Man line of statues. I immediately fell in love with the statue when Sideshow revealed the gorgeous design. The base of the statue is pink and covered in diamonds. What more could a girl ask for?! Plus there’s an adorable white cat sitting at Felicia’s leg and winking at us! Felicia’s face and body are exquisitely designed and I love her black boots. She’s also leaning on a ball of yarn fashioned after Spider-Man’s head. It’s just so perfect in so many ways<3 She’s available to preorder now from Sideshow!
5 Fandom Friday is getting into the Valentine’s Day spirit! Our topic this week is about which fictional couples we ship. Anyone who identifies as a fangirl or a fanboy has VERY strong opinions about which characters belong together. Here are the ones that I feel most strongly about!
1) Peter Parker & Gwen Stacy (Spider-Man) – Gwen > MJ. No question. Gwen loves Peter and MJ loves Spidey. Gwen and Peter connect on a deeper level and I wish that they would’ve been able to explore their relationship further. Stupid Green Goblin *cries*
2) Cath & Levi (Fangirl) – This pair is adorable. Levi gets Cath to be open to new experiences and it’s the best thing for her. Their love is so innocent and ahhh.
3) Anna & Etienne St. Clair (Anna and the French Kiss) – I just wrote a full review of this book which will be posted this weekend and it explains ALL of my feelings about Anna at Etienne but trust me, this pair will make you swoon. It’s a slow burn romance and it’s so so satisfying.
4) Lupin & Tonks (Harry Potter) – The FEELS.
5) Chuck & Blair (Gossip Girl) – Chuck and Blair’s relationship was such an emotional roller coaster for me. I had read the books so at first I thought that the idea of something between them was absurd, but Leighton Meester and Ed Westwick (*swoon*) have the best on screen chemistry possibly ever. I think they may be my OTP.
PAST & UPCOMING TOPICS
It’s no secret that I love the internet. I mean, how could you not? I love just about everything about it (minus trolls but I’m keeping this post positive)! In the past few weeks I’ve received some recognition on several of the websites I love to pieces and visit each day so I thought it would be fun to compile a quick list and share them all with you! I really appreciate when the people who inspire me recognize me back so this blog post is like my little mini thank you gush to those who made my last few weeks a little brighter!
The moment I became privy to the Bombshell Zatanna statue that DC Collectibles announced I was absolutely elated and overcome with joy. I’ve been (im)patiently waiting for her announcement since I felt she was snubbed and the Stargirl announcement was made. I immediately tweeted a photo of her and somehow the internet gods alerted the official DC Comics account to my tweet and they not only RT’ed my 140 character excited sentiment, but they also started following me! It may seem like a dumb thing to be happy about but 1) I love and respect DC Comics so much so it means a lot to me, and 2) it’s the little things that make me happy!
Next up, which I mentioned in my Winter Catch Up post, Comics Alliance started a really cool column called “The Comics Alliance Collection: Cool Stuff We (And You) Got This Week.” This directly appeals to the obsessive collector (hoarder) in me because I love mindlessly scrolling through photos and viewing things that other people have collected. My lovely Poison Ivy Tonner Doll which I acquired at my local comic book store made the cut for their March 2nd post. If you want your cool stuff to be featured on Comics Alliance too, you can hashtag your Instagram photos with #cacollection and their fine editors will compile their favorites for future posts. Happy hoarding!
Then two of Kristin & I’s blog posts for On Wednesdays We Wear Pink were posted and linked back to by The Mary Sue (which my awesome geek girl friend Jill Pantozzi happens to be an Associate Editor for)! We wrote about a new Divergent makeup line that Sephora is debuting early this month, and the design poll that DC Comics was holding in order for collectors to offer input for the DC Bombshell Mera statue. (I seriously cannot get enough of these Bombshells. Now I’m just waiting for Catwoman!) We were linked back on their “Things We Saw Today” posts on February 25th and March 3rd.
Lastly, my friend Betty alerted me to the existence of these Spider-Man leggings because obviously Wet Seal’s designers created them with me in mind. I couldn’t stand the thought of ordering them online and then spending countless days (like 5-8) waiting for my shipment to arrive so I scheduled an emergency trip to the mall where I happily acquired the last small pair. Then today while I was doing my daily blog read of my favorite sites I saw that my friend Amy had posted about my new leggings on Fashionably Geek and linked to my Instagram account! Hooray for infusing superheroes into style!