I wanted to make a personal best nine of 2016 from my iPhone camera roll without relying on the instagram algorithm website everyone has been using in addition to the one I did post on my instagram as well. I spent about 20 minutes writing this out as a Facebook post, only to have Facebook say “oops! we can’t post this right now” without saving it as a draft or anything. This served as a clear reminder that this is one of the many reasons I don’t ever use what I consider to be the worst social networking site in existence. But, it also resulted in me capturing my thoughts in a blog post instead so that’s the silver lining. Anyway, here are some of my favorite moments with explanations of why! Thanks to all of the people who made my year so wonderful<3
- Reunited with Melissa<3 I miss Mel so much since she’s moved to Texas but I’m thankful that I get to “see” her at least once a month when we host our Spines with Wines book club with Cassie. We honestly have even more fun afterwards just sipping our wine and catching up on life stuff :-D I really hope we get to see each other in person much more this year but I’m thankful that the distance between us hasn’t impacted our friendship at all. We’re both here for each other no matter what happens and neither of us ever doubt the strength of our friendship.
- This photo was taken when Andrew and I went to Baltimore Comic Con. It was such a lovely trip and we had even more fun exploring Baltimore than we did at the convention! I’ve always wanted to go to the aquarium there and viewing the jellyfish was a dream come true since Princess Jellyfish has turned me into a little bit of a jellyfish otaku.
- This is one of my favorite photos ever taken of my mom and I! Even better that it’s on my wedding day! It’s such a lovely candid because it perfectly captures the immense amount of happiness we were all feeling that day. My mom is the strongest, most amazing woman I have ever met and I cannot even describe all the ways she inspires me. We talk every single day and my relationship with her (and my dad!) has been one of the most important in my life. I am so thankful for our bond and I’m praying for a healthier 2017 for my mom<3
- This photo was taken after my birthday brunch on the Lower East Side. I don’t usually plan anything but I was so excited to get together with all of the incredible people in my life! My brother Bob, his amazing girlfriend Amanda, my bestie Cassie and my loving new family- Brittany, Molly, Kristin and Joe<3- all made my day into one of the best of the year!
- My first experience ever at the Renaissance Faire was even more magical than I ever could’ve imagined. Stepping into the faire is like being transported to another time period. I had so much fun drinking mead, watching acrobats and trying on floral crowns with Andrew, Kelly and Gil! I’m so thankful to have gotten much closer to Kelly and Gil this year. They’re wonderful people who share my love of Harry Potter<3 Kelly took this photo of Andrew and I on the kissing bridge!
- This photo was taken at Andrew and I’s combined bachelor / bachelorette party weekend. Amanda, Melissa, Greg and Joe worked so hard to give us the best weekend ever and I love that our bridal parties were able to meet and get to know each other before the big day. Some people have even remained friends and it’s so much fun to see the mini-reunions at different events that we’ve gone to since our wedding!
- Cassie and I always have so much fun at the book launches for Melissa’s Girl at Midnight series at Books of Wonder in NYC (and not just because there’s always cupcakes and champagne!). It’s been amazing to see such a wonderful person share her work with the world and I cannot wait to read / celebrate The Savage Dawn in 2017!
- This photo was also taken at my birthday brunch but I just had to include ice cream on here somewhere. It’s from 10Below which is a place that was on my NYC bucket list so I’m thrilled we were able to try it out!
- And lastly (in this list, even though I struggled because there were SO many moments I wanted to include) is a photo of me in front of my pride and joy. Now that Andrew and I are settled in our space, there’s nothing that makes me happier than being able to admire my bookshelves in a wide open space. And in this photo I’m reading one of my favorite books of the year and wearing my favorite sweater ever because foxes are the best.
And here’s a little wedding collage to commemorate the most important day of my 2016<3 Do I win the award for most bridesmaids ever?
I haven’t posted anything wedding related in such a long time since I was too caught up in the actual planning progress but now that Andrew and I’s big day has come and gone, I’m excited to be sharing more about it with everyone! We haven’t gotten any of our photos back from the photographer just yet but before we packed up our decorations I snapped a few shots of our decor. Our wedding was space themed (focusing mostly on Star Wars and Doctor Who, although we did play some Firefly during cocktail hour!). I had such a fun time hunting all of our decorations down because theme parties are kind of my thing and we did do some other things during the reception but I’ll be getting to that in future posts :-) If you want to see even more sneak peeks, you can check out our instagram hashtag which is #WedLongAndProsper16.
This is one of my favorite things that I found on Etsy! I posted a photo of it the morning of our wedding since Andrew wasn’t allowed to see me until I arrived at the church. It has the date we tied the knot and of course, the infamous Han / Leia exchange<3
This is a copy of our church program. I love the design we found and how it says “it was written in the stars.”
I also just adored this ring box. It’s so perfect<3 And I love that it’s something that we’ll have forever to keep our rings in when we’re not wearing them at night.
This is my garter. I didn’t actually wear it, it was just used for photos before the ceremony. Andrew and I decided early on that we didn’t want to do a bouquet / garter toss because most of the times we’ve seen them, they just end up being awkward. I chose this particular garter because it’s called Rose and the Doctor<3
Arguably, one of the most time consuming of our decorations were these Clone Trooper placecards. I ordered about 200 LEGO Clone Troopers from eBay and each one came completely disassembled. We spent hours building them and then cutting our placecards and hot gluing them to each trooper. I love that we had a little army set up for everyone to see when they were figuring out where to sit! Unfortunately, I had forgotten to take a photo of them before we packed up but Betty was nice enough to let me use hers!
This is the craft that took me the second longest. Originally we were just planning on using the TARDIS as our card box but we quickly realized that it was too small! I made an emergency trip to Michael’s and found a Star Wars themed box that I painted 3 coats of white and decorated with fabric roses and rhinestones for our TARDIS to sit atop.
We brought our own cake servers to the venue to use because this Darth Vader & Stormtrooper set were too cute to pass up.
This is our cake topper! This is probably my favorite of all of our decorations because it’s just so cute! R2 looks so dapper and I got to be a BB-8 bride. They sat atop a galaxy cake which I’m hoping to have great photos of in the weeks to come!
For the girls bouquets, I wanted to use the closest arrangement I could find to something galaxy themed. I went with blue amy’s, diamond dusted roses, lillies and hydrangeas. We also chose the same flowers for our centerpieces which sat inside Death Star cookie jars. I never thought I would order 25 Death Star cookie jars in my life and I made a point to chat with ThinkGeek while placing the order so they weren’t like what the heck is this? and didn’t fulfill it! The centerpiece photo is by Cassie!
I also ordered my bouquet off of etsy because I really wanted a brooch bouquet. I think they’re so pretty and I love that I’ll be able to keep this one looking just as it did on my wedding for the rest of my life<3
For our guestbook we went with River Song’s diary and a Sonic Screwdriver pen. We actually haven’t had the time to read through it yet but we’re planning on doing so soon!
This is just the cutest card ever that my coworkers gave us when they surprised me with our VIP guided tour of Harry Potter World.
And lastly, here’s a photo I really love of my Mom and I outside the church<3
I already posted the image Andrew designed for our Save the Date on social media early last week because I couldn’t possibly wait another second to share it but I wanted to post it here too since I’ll be sporadically blogging about wedding stuff throughout our process. We spent a very minimal amount of money creating them (our biggest expense was postage) because Andrew is so talented! We dressed up one rather cold Sunday evening, set up our green screen and tripod / camera in Andrew’s backyard, and sat on some stools from his mom’s beautiful new kitchen. We set the timer on the camera (the most frustrating part was not being able to tell if we would be in focus) and took a series of poses facing foward, kissing, looking lovingly into each other’s eyes, pretending we saw a shooting star, etc., but we landed on the image below. Andrew added in the galaxy background and hanging paper moon + stars and we decided on a purple sidebar to announce our date which we’ve decided not to share online at this time. I’m SO happy with the way it came out and I think it fits our space theme perfectly!
Wedding planning is well underway and I’m so happy to say that I’ve already found my dress and the dresses for my bridesmaids. Accomplishing those major milestones has allowed me to move on to accessorizing. My mom told me about this pair of Jimmy Choo Cinderella shoes she came across on Facebook (she’s a recent FB addict now that she has an iPad) and I have never been so blown away by a fancy pair of footwear. Unfortunately, they retail at the outrageous price of $4,595 which is something I could never afford (and quite frankly, if I suddenly happened into $5K I wouldn’t be able to justify spending it on a single pair of shoes). They’re covered in Swarovski crystals and they have just the right amount of show stopping sparkle. Luckily, one of my most crafty bridesmaids Kristin is convinced that she can make something similar for a much lower price! I was so overcome with joy when she texted me about it but I made her swear that it wouldn’t be too much work before admitting that I would love to wear something similar.
Last night, I had a little get together so I could ask all of the girls I’m closest with to be my bridesmaids! I have 12 girls in all which is actually a pretty big number but I can’t help how many wonderful people are in my life! I decided I wanted to continue along with the Harry Potter theme of our engagement and luckily, Andrew is an amazing artist who helped make it happen! He created the design below for me to use as mini art prints to give to each of the girls when I asked them. He also customized each one depending on the girls hair color and Hogwarts house! I cannot stop looking at them and I’m so glad he printed a few extra so I could keep some as a remembrance for myself<3
Luckily everyone I asked said yes! Here are a few photos from last night (before they’ve been properly edited because I’m too excited to wait to post them)! I’m having two Maid of Honors (although one is a Matron of Honor). Two of the girls live in Florida so they’re not in the bridesmaid photo but I’m thinking of photoshopping them in<3 Some of the girl you may recognize from the blogging world are Melissa, Cassie and not pictured because Florida, Kristin and Rachel! There’s also a photo of me with my wonderful parents! Yesterday was their 38 year wedding anniversary and they’re still the happiest couple I know. Seeing their relationship over the years has set the bar high and helped me determine how wonderful love can truly be (so cheesy but true!) which is why I know that marrying Andrew is the best decision ever<3