Last weekend Andrew and I attended Erika and Kelly’s after Halloween party. It’s an annual party they host and it’s always called the Menage-a-Party because it’s a combined celebration for Halloween, Day of the Dead and Guy Fawkes Day. This was the 5th year they hosted it (and my second year in attendance) and as always, costumes were required. Since we were driving instead of commuting from NYC like last year, it was much easier to bring things along so of course my DSLR one of the first things I threw into my purse. I also made some salted caramel pretzel blondie bars and we picked up a bottle of wine on the way. Andrew and I dressed up as Mickey and Minnie Mouse! It was a really last minute costume idea but I think it came together nicely considering the only expense was Mickey ears for Andrew. I really want to dress up in more Disney couples costumes with my future husband<3 It was so much fun seeing everyone’s costumes (Kelly made an amazing Rey costume, Erika and Alex dressed up as Coraline and Wybie, Gil took on Gaby from The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Steph made the cutest Totoro, and Nick and Melissa were the perfect Bob and Linda – I particularly love Nick’s Gandalf sign – Not pictured is Matt who dressed as Star-Lord and his fiancé Claire who dressed up as Elsa). The only downside of being the photographer is not being able to be in as many photos so I may have to hand the camera off to Andrew at some point next party ^.^
Hello and happy almost Halloween!! I was tagged by Tiffany from About to Read for the Creatures of the Night Book Tag. I really wanted to do this one so I’m glad that she tagged me! This book tag involves giving recommendations based on different types of supernatural creatures such as vampires, angels, ghosts etc.
We did this topic last year for 5 Fandom Friday as well but it’s such a fun one to include because people are always discovering new characters and fandoms so everyone on your list from last year might not make it this year. This year I decided to shake things up and post 5 couple’s costumes that I want to dress up as with Andrew at some point in the future. We don’t have anything big planned for this Halloween (besides the aforementioned pie-baking, Halloween-candy-eating and scary-movie-watching) so Andrew and I will be saving our costumes for Kelly & Erika’s annual after-Halloween Halloween party. I’m not going to reveal our plan just yet but here are some characters I want us to dress up as in the future!
1) Bilbo & Gandalf – Andrew already has the height going for him to be Gandalf and since Gandalf is my favorite character I would love to see Andrew dressed up as him. Also, being Bilbo will give me an excuse to eat a million meals in a day and walk around barefoot.
2) Rapunzel & Flynn – This is one of my favorite Disney films and Rapunzel and Flynn are the characters in the Disney World that most closely resemble us. We have something planned involving Tangled but I’m not allowed to say what it is just yet :-)
3) Jack & Sally – I toyed with the idea of dressing as these characters this year but we ultimately went with something else. I would rather save a classic like Jack and Sally for when we have something huge planned!
4) Harry Potter & Luna Lovegood – I can’t think of any reason why I wouldn’t want to do a couples Harry Potter cosplay. Luna is my favorite character and I chose Harry for Andrew since he’s so easily identifiable but I would be open to letting him choose a different character.
5) Spider-Man & Spider-Gwen – We actually have each other listed in our phones as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. I love both of these characters and now that Gwen is webslinging in an alt universe I think it would be incredible to pair her up with Spidey in our universe.
The last two weeks have been crazy busy for me so I almost felt too tired to prepare my 5 Fandom Friday post for this week… until I remembered that it involved Halloween. Since I don’t really have any specific traditions I figured I would shake up the topic and talk about the 5 things I love most about the holiday. What are you most looking forward to this year? Any costume ideas yet? Once Andrew and I have our own place I am committing to a yearly over the top Halloween BASH.
1) CANDY! – This is clearly the best part of Halloween, no contest! Last year, we did a 5 Fandom Friday post about our favorite Halloween candy and my previous ranking still stands. I hope my day is full of Take5’s, Reese’s Pumpkins and Cadbury Screme Eggs.
2) SCARY MOVIES! – All of the Halloween plans Andrew and I were invited to this year ended up being in other states and since we’re saving for a wedding / commuting 5 days a week, the idea of traveling just wasn’t appealing to us so we’re going to spend the day relaxing together and marathoning Halloween movies and eating candy. I’m also planning on baking a pie.
3) COSTUMES! – I love seeing what people come up with for Halloween costumes. There are always some really creative ideas circulating the internet and I love perusing through photos when I have the time. I also love seeing what kids are dressed up as when they come around the neighborhood trick-or-treating. Last year, we had a TON of Elsa’s so I’m curious what “the” costume is this year. Kids dressed as comic book characters get extra candy.
4) PUMPKINS! – In addition to pumpkin flavored treats, I also love seeing everyone’s homes adorned with my favorite seasonal food. We went pumpkin picking and painted our own pumpkins last weekend (mine is Harry Potter and Andrew’s brother Joe painted a flawless Bob from Bob’s Burgers) and Andrew even carved a classic Jack-o-Lantern for the porch.
5) IT’S ALMOST CHRISTMAS! – As much as I love Halloween, which holds second place for best holiday of every year, the day has nothing on Christmas! Once November hits, even the grumpiest people seem more open to putting up with my overly enthusiastic Christmas cheer so I look forward to that every year.
Hi everyone! I’m finally back to filming more BookTube videos after a little August / September hiatus when I was mostly posting a much lower number of pre-filmed videos. I go into a little bit of detail about why I wasn’t able to film and just general life updates. Then, what I’m sure you’re all there for, my horror filled October TBR! I’m so excited to read everything on my list and I even have some backup books in case I read through it all! I absolutely love Halloween and getting into the spirit of things with spooky books! I’d love to know what you’re reading, especially if you have any horror books in your TBR pile!
Halloween is in the air so it felt right to devote this next art gallery installment to The Nightmare Before Christmas. Part of my undying love for this Tim Burton animated film is that it allows us to get the best of both worlds, Halloween and Christmas. Christmas is my favorite holiday ever and Halloween is a close second so this story appeals to me on many levels. I love how Jack has an existential crisis and feels the need to search for more in his life. I re-watched this movie just last weekend after a day full of pumpkin picking and it was the perfect autumn pick me up. I could listen to the soundtrack on repeat for a really long time without ever getting sick of it.
I will preface this weeks 5 Fandom Friday by saying I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT AUTUMN. I love the cooler weather. I love wearing sweaters and scarves and sipping hot drinks and walking through colored leaves and getting into the Halloween spirit. But above all, I love the feeling that comes along with Autumn. It’s when school is starting back up and people seem more motivated and less aggravated by the unbearable heat and it’s just a generally great time of the year. A few weeks ago I posted my Autumn activities list and I’m already scheduling the time to dedicate to the things I want to do to completely enjoy and appreciate the season (plus, I’m so close to beating Luigi’s Mansion which is one of my goals so HOORAY!).
1) Pumpkin Everything! – I’ve already gone one several sprees to pick up any and all Pumpkin flavored foods at my local Target. I have yet to haul pumpkin goods from my annual Fall Trader Joe’s trip but I’m planning on going there in the coming weeks once everything is in stock. Last year I did a comprehensive end of season review of almost everything I tried and I feel good about knowing which things I can skip this year. I’ve been having my lunch on pumpkin spice bread every day for the past two weeks and it’s been the best thing in the world.2) Pumpkin & Apple Picking – Last year I went to this amazing gem of a place for pumpkin and apple picking with my now fiancee Andrew and my BFF Melissa. We’re planning on heading back again this year with Andrew’s many siblings (he’s one of five!) and I cannot wait because they’re all so great<3 There’s a giant corn maze with a mystery you have to solve, homemade Apple Cider donuts that you can watch being made while you wait on the line and of course, pumpkins and apples for picking!
3) Fall Wardrobe – I adore wearing sweaters, scarves and boots and the crisp Autumn air always demands it<3 I can’t wait to break out my sweaters again and accessorize for the cooler air. Plus, leather jackets! And I just recently reintroduced jeans into my wardrobe so I’m already foreseeing some adorable ensembles.
4) Fall Landscapes – I always feel so lucky to live close enough to Central Park that I can pop over once the leaves start changing and spend a few hours strolling around and admiring the view. Fall is so colorful which is exactly what I crave and I love stepping through leaves on the ground in knee high boots. This is one of my favorite photos I took of the Bow Bridge last Fall (you may recognize it from Amy & Rory’s final episode of Doctor Who!) and you can see the rest of my photos here. I can’t wait to spend some time there with Andrew this year!
5) PIE – This goes along with my first fall fave because Pumpkin Pie is everything! But I am not discriminatory and I love all pie in general I thought it made sense to include it on my list as it’s own category. Autumn pies are so delicious and I cannot wait to put more Pecan Pie in my mouth.
And now, Megan and I are ahead of the game for October topics for a very special reason. You may have noticed that I have a new 5 Fandom Friday graphic as my featured image and that is because my fiancee Andrew has been patiently teaching me Photoshop (despite how frustrated this n00b would get when trying to create / color all the fandom icons). I knew the first thing I wanted to create would be fandom related and I figured, what better way to experiment than to create something new for 5 Fandom Friday?! So in addition to the October topics which will be listed below, we’re also going to debut a 5 Fandom Friday Instagram Photo A Day Challenge for the month of October! I wanted to post it early so that everyone would have time to take their photos and we really hope you’ll enjoy playing along this month! If everyone likes it, it may be something we continue with! You can follow along on mine and Megan’s instagrams (we’ll be posting the graphic there too later in the week) and we’re both anxious for October 1st so we can start perusing the hashtag and see all the geeky goodness in our feeds!
October 2 – People You Want on Your Side During an Apocalypse (Kendall Ashley)
October 9 – Favorite Fictional Teachers (Heather Q – Beyond the Aisle)
October 16 – Top 5 Halloween Traditions (Sylvanfire)
October 23 – Characters I Want to Dress Up as for Halloween
October 30 – Favorite Halloween Episodes of TV Shows
The season of pumpkin spice has arrived and I couldn’t be more excited! Even though my enthusiasm for my favorite flavor comes along with incessant mocking from my much cooler friends, I couldn’t care less. I am a proud pumpkin spice lover and I truly wish it were available year round. Today’s outfit of the day celebrates the waiting period until September finally hits and the wish that I had magical powers to summon the necessary foods to satiate my cravings. Outfit details below ^.^
Photos by Andrew Gallagher
I’m so excited for Fall. Like SO excited. I decided to put together a list of things I want to make sure I do so I can fully enjoy the season and I just got Photoshop(!!!) so I used this opportunity to test it out! Yay learning! What activities are you looking forward to this Fall? Or do you wish Summer would last a little longer?
I love the idea of having a published Bucket List to reference when I’m planning future events and reflecting back on the past. Kristina Horner published a bucket list on her blog and it inspired me to type out my own so I can focus on making sure I accomplish as many of the things I want to do during my lifetime. I’ll be writing posts about the things I do and even flashing back to some things I’ve already experienced but were always a part of my list. What’s on your bucket list?
Visit Harry Potter World in Orlando Live in New York City
- Meet JK Rowling
- Harry Potter Studio Tour in London
- Tour Studio Ghibli
- Lord of the Rings Tour in New Zealand
Attend the Yule Ball
- Visit all of the Canadian locations in Scott Pilgrim
- Disneyland in Paris
- Disneyland in Tokyo
- Visit Club 33 at Disneyland
- Sakura Matsuri in Japan
Attend Sleep No More
- Wine tasting in Napa Valley
- Publish a novel
Own a pink KitchenAid mixer
- Drink champagne in front of the Eiffel Tower
- Cultivate and maintain a garden
Go to the Coney Island Mermaid Parade
- Learn to French braid hair
- The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff
- See the Chicago Bean
Go pumpkin picking See Shakespeare in the Park
- Go on a Jack the Ripper Tour in London
- Learn how to bake French macarons
See the Yayoi Kusama exhibit
- Go skiing
- Go to Coachella
- Go to The Louvre
Stroll through Central Park in the fall
- Complete NaNoWriMo
Sakura Matsuri in NYC
- Stay in the Library Hotel in NYC in the Fairy Tale room
- Tour NASA
- Ride a train across the country
- Stargaze on the Highline
- See Stonehenge
- Kiss Andrew atop the Eiffel Tower
Go apple picking
- See the Northern Lights
- Watch a sunset on a beach
- Go to all 50 states
- Climb a lighthouse
- Create a board game
- Fly in a private jet
Meet R.L. Stine
- See the Acropolis in Greece
- Stand on the Equator
- Visit The Globe Theater in London
Visit YouTube Studios
- Go strawberry picking
- Carve Andrew and I’s initials into a tree
- Attend the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival
- Get married
Kiss Andrew in front of the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center
- Visit NBC’s Rainbow Room and Observation Deck
- Attend a live taping of SNL
Attend a live recording of Welcome to Night Vale
- Tour Pixar
- Tour Nintendo
Meet George Lucas
- Tour Google
- Attend BlogHer
Drink at the Met’s rooftop bar
- Learn how to use photoshop
- Visit the Glow Worm Caves
See the Hollywood sign Attend a movie premiere with a red carpet Walk the Brooklyn Bridge Meet Michio Kaku Own a pair of Christian Louboutins Own a Chanel purse Style a fashion shoot Be styled for a fashion shoot by a celebrity stylist Attend an outdoor concert at Jones Beach Attend a farewell concert for a band I love Visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany Be thanked in the acknowledgements of a published book Meet Neil Gaiman Meet Stan Lee Get a Sandman tattoo Fall in love Help out at a fashion show Get published
Be on a television show Be made fun of by Joel McHale on The Soup Have an IMDB page Speak on a panel at a convention Moderate a panel at a convention Live in Los Angeles
- Read all of the books I own
- Get a Harry Potter tattoo
Attend San Diego Comic Con Attend Star Wars Celebration Attend Book Expo America
- Walk and shop along the Champs-Élysées
- See a show at the Moulin Rouge
- See the Cirque de Soleil Beatles LOVE show in Las Vegas
Drink gluhwein at Rolph’s during Christmas season
- Go to the Labyrinth Masquerade Ball in LA
- Buy a vintage typewriter
- Visit The Last Bookstore in LA
The Walking Dead Tour in Atlanta
- Visit Powell’s Bookstore in Portland
- Visit the Space Needle in Seattle
Attend an event in the Great Hall at Whimsic Alley
- Visit the castle in Scotland that Hogwarts was based on
- Go to Star Wars Weekends at Disney
- Meet Peter Jackson
- Go to a Renaissance Faire
- Attend the Holi Festival in NYC
Take a photo in front of the mirror fence at Storm King