Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly series hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we’re eagerly awaiting. This week I’m choosing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling which really needs no explanation. Yesterday I began my re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and I’m planning on re-reading The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows as well prior to the sequel release next month and I’m getting more and more excited by the minute. I already assembled my squad for the midnight release party and the only thing that’s left is to plan my outfit! If you haven’t already, you can find the midnight release party closest to you on this new website set up by Scholastic!
Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, a new play by Jack Thorne, is the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. It will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on 30th July 2016.
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes darkness comes from unexpected places. (via Goodreads)
Last weekend, Andrew, Kelly and I met up to attend EternalCon on Long Island. It’s still a relatively new convention (this being it’s 4th year) and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun we had. The floor was full of exhibitors and cosplayers and everyone seemed to be in good spirits. I love that there’s a local convention that’s so easy to get to and I’m definitely planning on going back next year. Here are some photos of some of the best cosplay I saw at the show. An EternalCon vlog with con footage and our purchases is coming next week!
I haven’t posted anything wedding related in such a long time since I was too caught up in the actual planning progress but now that Andrew and I’s big day has come and gone, I’m excited to be sharing more about it with everyone! We haven’t gotten any of our photos back from the photographer just yet but before we packed up our decorations I snapped a few shots of our decor. Our wedding was space themed (focusing mostly on Star Wars and Doctor Who, although we did play some Firefly during cocktail hour!). I had such a fun time hunting all of our decorations down because theme parties are kind of my thing and we did do some other things during the reception but I’ll be getting to that in future posts :-) If you want to see even more sneak peeks, you can check out our instagram hashtag which is #WedLongAndProsper16.
This is one of my favorite things that I found on Etsy! I posted a photo of it the morning of our wedding since Andrew wasn’t allowed to see me until I arrived at the church. It has the date we tied the knot and of course, the infamous Han / Leia exchange<3
This is a copy of our church program. I love the design we found and how it says “it was written in the stars.”
I also just adored this ring box. It’s so perfect<3 And I love that it’s something that we’ll have forever to keep our rings in when we’re not wearing them at night.
This is my garter. I didn’t actually wear it, it was just used for photos before the ceremony. Andrew and I decided early on that we didn’t want to do a bouquet / garter toss because most of the times we’ve seen them, they just end up being awkward. I chose this particular garter because it’s called Rose and the Doctor<3
Arguably, one of the most time consuming of our decorations were these Clone Trooper placecards. I ordered about 200 LEGO Clone Troopers from eBay and each one came completely disassembled. We spent hours building them and then cutting our placecards and hot gluing them to each trooper. I love that we had a little army set up for everyone to see when they were figuring out where to sit! Unfortunately, I had forgotten to take a photo of them before we packed up but Betty was nice enough to let me use hers!
This is the craft that took me the second longest. Originally we were just planning on using the TARDIS as our card box but we quickly realized that it was too small! I made an emergency trip to Michael’s and found a Star Wars themed box that I painted 3 coats of white and decorated with fabric roses and rhinestones for our TARDIS to sit atop.
We brought our own cake servers to the venue to use because this Darth Vader & Stormtrooper set were too cute to pass up.
This is our cake topper! This is probably my favorite of all of our decorations because it’s just so cute! R2 looks so dapper and I got to be a BB-8 bride. They sat atop a galaxy cake which I’m hoping to have great photos of in the weeks to come!
For the girls bouquets, I wanted to use the closest arrangement I could find to something galaxy themed. I went with blue amy’s, diamond dusted roses, lillies and hydrangeas. We also chose the same flowers for our centerpieces which sat inside Death Star cookie jars. I never thought I would order 25 Death Star cookie jars in my life and I made a point to chat with ThinkGeek while placing the order so they weren’t like what the heck is this? and didn’t fulfill it! The centerpiece photo is by Cassie!
I also ordered my bouquet off of etsy because I really wanted a brooch bouquet. I think they’re so pretty and I love that I’ll be able to keep this one looking just as it did on my wedding for the rest of my life<3
For our guestbook we went with River Song’s diary and a Sonic Screwdriver pen. We actually haven’t had the time to read through it yet but we’re planning on doing so soon!
This is just the cutest card ever that my coworkers gave us when they surprised me with our VIP guided tour of Harry Potter World.
And lastly, here’s a photo I really love of my Mom and I outside the church<3
I usually write a wish list post around SDCC outlining all of the exclusives I would be willing to spend time waiting in line for and I’m still planning to do the same this year but the first exclusive I saw was just too good to wait on! Monogram is coming out a Hedwig mug *initiate party horns* and it would be the perfect addition to my Harry Potter bookshelves. Then I can pretend nothing happened to her and instead, enjoy her company while I drink tea and re-read my favorite books. The mug is ceramic but it doesn’t say how many oz it holds so I’m crossing my fingers for somewhere in the 16 oz – 20 oz range. The mug also comes with a cute gold Hogwarts crest pin that can be affixed to the house robes of your choice. It’s only $20 and it’s limited to 500 pieces so good luck to everyone who wants one!
If there was ever a mash up that I didn’t know I needed, it’s this Anime version of Captain America: Civil War. I obviously loved the live action film wholeheartedly (I’m having trouble ranking my favorite Marvel films but it definitely sits within the top two spots for me) and anime, especially the animation and art style are up there in my favorite art styles so this mash up really speaks to me! All of the artwork is done by Bin1 Production and it mashes Captain America: Civil War with The Idolmaster. There are mild Civil War spoilers in the artwork so beware if you haven’t seen it yet. My favorite character drawn below is the female version of Spider-Man holding Cap’s shield<3
5 Fandom Friday is a weekly meme hosted by yours truly and Megan of The Nerdy Girlie! For more information, here’s our introduction post about how 5FF came into being.
This week’s 5 Fandom Friday topic is our favorite places to read. As I’m sitting here in our Little Mermaid shell bed at Disney, the first place that came to my mind is vacation… until I realized that I’ve read a whopping 30 pages in the past two weeks so I had to amend my answers. I usually read A LOT but things have been so crazy with the wedding and now the honeymoon that I’ve taken a bit of a break but once I get back to NY, I can’t wait to resume my reading in these places!
1) In front of my comic bookshelves on Andrew and I’s super comfy couch that we bought without ever sitting on. We got really lucky but we could just tell from the photo that it had to be the most comfortable couch ever!
2) In Andrew and I’s bed! Ever since I was little, reading in bed has been my favorite place of all to relax and get lost in a good story.
3) My bed at my parent’s house. Like I said, this has been my longtime favorite and I know I’ll still love to read there when I stay over (especially in the morning because I’m ALWAYS the first one awake)!
4) Outside in the springtime. I love admiring the Cherry Blossom trees and spending time outside before it gets unbearably hot. I’m so happy to have a backyard again so I can enjoy the outdoors in the private.
5) And lastly, which is the place I read more than any other, is on the train when I’m commuting to and from work. I love reading on trains (and planes!) because it’s such a great chunk of uninterrupted reading time.
I hope you’ll be sharing your favorite places this week! And if you want to participate in future 5FF’s, you can find the rest of the June topics listed here :-)
Now that we’re in the final week before our wedding, Andrew and I have been daydreaming about all the things we’re going to do with our newfound time so we decided to make a list of our summer goals (or I actually decided and sent it to Andrew for him to review). Anyway, here’s a cute photo of some of our Pokemon plushes (note that I put Snorlax in my Raybans because summer). Here are our goals:
1) Enjoy life post space wedding – AKA THE STRESS OF PLANNING IS OVER AND DONE! And we will do all the relaxing to make up for these past few months such as board game nights with friends, much more traveling to conventions and weekend trips to out of town friends, and just general laziness.
2) Work on NYCC cosplay! – I already have a pretty solid plan for one cosplay I want to do but I’m having it commissioned by someone on Etsy. I do want to come up with a good one for me to work on myself though! Honestly, two cosplays is kind of ambitious since I feel so out of the game but hey, goal setting never hurt anyone! But I do want at least two days in comfy clothes (and one of those days will obviously be Sunday because I’m usually mostly dead by then anyway).
3) Start our video game channel on YouTube – Andrew has been so excited about this one for what feels like forever! I bought him the game capture equipment he needs for Christmas last year but he put his dream on hold to focus on wedding stuff which is so incredibly amazing of him. So gaming is basically our top priority come summer.
4) Finalize our 2017 con schedule – Now that we’ve had our wedding and friend weddings seem to be slowing down (the last two have been OUT OF CONTROL), we’re really excited to immerse ourselves back in the con circuit. Some cons I still haven’t had a chance to experience that are tops on my list are ECCC, HeroesCon and since Baltimore will always be a favorite, I’d love to head back there!
5) Binge watch all of Batman 66 – I recently scored the DVD box set on Amazon for an awesome price so I would love to revisit this show in the very near future. Especially now that we’ve finished Gilmore Girls, our TV watching time has become wide open (that is, after experiencing Legend of Korra season 4 which we are going to break down and buy because we just can’t wait any longer for Amazon to add it to Prime).
6) Have our LOTR movie marathon with Joe & Kris – We gave Andrew’s brother and his wife the Lord of the Rings blu-ray trilogy box set for Christmas and we’ve been trying to plan a good weekend for a movie marathon ever since. Obviously, in addition to watching the films, this weekend would just be us embracing the Hobbit lifestyle and eating all the food and drinking all the drinks. Can’t say there will be pipe smoking though.
7) Go to the Renn Faire – This is something we’ve been wanting to do for the past couple of years (and we *sort of* did in the Cloisters but we want to go to the more official one with all of our friends!). One group of our friends plans a huge trip every year and now that we actually have a car it’ll be much easier to get there.
8) Download and play through the OG Pokemon – Andrew is a Pokemon Blue kind of guy but I’m torn between Yellow and Red. I like that I’ll have a little Pikachu following me around in Yellow but I would like for us to capture all 151 so idkkkkk send help!
Do you have any Summer goals you’re going to be working toward?
These are some photos that I took (and edited) last fall but I still hadn’t posted for some reason unbeknownst to me (actually now that I’m thinking of it, I took these photos the day of Melissa’s going away party when she moved back to Texas T.T). Since my second tpb of Spider-Gwen arrived yesterday I thought I would get on releasing these<3 I think everyone knows that Spider-Gwen is essentially my comic dream come true (thanks again Dan!) so I’ve purchased just about every Spider-Gwen article of clothing that WeLoveFine has had to offer. Even more exciting is that completely out of nowhere, my friend Eric asked for my address because he had a surprise for me… custom painted Spider-Gwen converse sneakers!!!! I was DYING when he sent me photos of them and I couldn’t believe how lucky I was that he thought of me! Each side of the shoes has a different design and I love them so much! To be honest, I’m super scared to wear them unless it’s a REALLY special occasion because I would be DEVASTATED if anything were to happen to them! I love that Eric even went so far as to customize the box! I decided to put together this everyday outfit complete with a Gwen Stacy headband and show off my best web hands. In other news, today is my first official day off for my wedding! I have some last minute appointments today and some crafting stuff to take care of and then I’ll be rewarding myself with a hot cup of tea while I savor every page of DC Rebirth!
Outfit Details: Cardigan (WeLoveFine) | Jeans (Siwy)
Shoes (Converse – Custom made for me by SonsOfGeekery – Thanks so much!!)
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly series hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we’re eagerly awaiting. This week I’m choosing the Official Pokémon Cookbook which is finally coming to the United States! It’s been available in Japan for a while but VIZ Media will be printing in English soon. The cookbook is *supposed* to be aimed at kids so obviously I’m super excited for it. All of the foods in the cookbook are made to look like Pokémon and I’m especially excited to make some Poke Ball Sushi Rolls. The cookbook comes out on December 6th (I’ve already pre-ordered my copy!) so it’s the perfect holiday gift for the gamer in your life<3
Fun & easy recipes inspired by favorite Pokémon characters!
Create delicious dishes that look like your favorite Pokémon characters – from desserts to pizza – with more than 35 easy, fun recipes. Make a Pokéball sushi roll, Pikachu ramen or mashed Meowth potatoes for your next party, weekend activity or powered-up lunchbox. (via Amazon)
Talk about a teaser! The trailer released yesterday for the upcoming Beauty and the Beast film is only one minute and thirty one seconds and it only gives us the tiniest glimpse of what’s coming. First things first, is it me or does that castle look awfully similar to Hogwarts?! A very fitting aesthetic for a film Emma Watson is going to be starring in! Then we see the unused ballroom which is covered with cobwebs and decorated in golds fine enough for a French King. It’s very Marie Antoinette, but it still keeps that gothic vibe. All of the candles in the next shot remind me of being on that main ride at Harry Potter World and I was half expecting the Sorting Hat to be placed within one of those alcoves in the wall. “Belle (no last name)… better be… RAVENCLAW!” The we see what I can only assume is the tiny little child version of the Beast and we hear his guttural grunt when he slashes the painting with his claw. As the castle door slowly creaks open in the next scene and we hear the iconic phrases uttered by Ewan McGregor (Lumiere) and Ian McKellan (Cogsworth)- Look a girl! Maybe she is the one!- and my heart near exploded with joy. I cannot even come close to expressing how excited I am to see these actors in their new roles. The FINALLY, we heard Belle’s voice and see a beautifully artistic shot of the Enchanted Rose!!!!!! We also get the least revealing shot of Belle’s face hiding behind the rose which I feel like barely counts as the first look at Emma Watson as Belle as all these websites have been claiming.
I have to say that I was really hoping to see Belle’s iconic yellow dress or to view what the Beast will look like but since this is only our first teaser, I’m sure those are coming in due time. I absolutely adore the entire aesthetic of the castle! I’m so glad they went with a gothic style, especially since Beauty and the Beast really is one of the darker tales. It feels really fitting and the darker color scheme really allows the deep red rose to pop. Plus as I mentioned, I got chills as soon as I heard Lumiere and Cogsworth speak with the voices of some incredible actors. I cannot believe we have to wait almost an entire year for the film! I know my anticipation has been building ever since the project was announced. There also hasn’t been any official posters or images released just yet but I’ll be stalking the Disney Twitter account for hope that something will come our way soon.