Who doesn’t love a good mystery? And who’s the master of solving said mysteries? The answer is very obviously Sherlock Holmes. I am admittedly behind on the BBC series and I need to make it a priority to catch up as soon as possible. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are the perfect dynamic duo and I really enjoyed the episodes I’ve seen thus far. That’s why I knew I had to have this beautiful Sherlock dress by Gold Bubble! I love that while it’s definitely a geeky design, it’s still something I can wear to work and my coworkers will be none the wiser. I had a lot of fun styling this outfit and I’m so happy I got to show off my leatherbound Barnes and Noble Sherlock Holmes book in a fashion shoot instead of just on my bookshelf! Outfit details below.
This is the first month I’m taking part in 6 on 6 which was created by Scruffy Little Nerf Herder. Basically, you’re encouraged to take 6 geek themed photos and post them on the 6th of each month. Each month is assigned a different color and fittingly enough, October is orange. I’m kind of shocked to see just how little I own that’s actually orange but I’m really pleased with what I came up with!
- Smaug + Fantasy – I love my Smaug Funko! He’s taller than a giant stack of thick fantasy books which is pretty cool IMO. This photo shows some of my fantasy favorites and one (well, three because it’s a bind up) that I’m really hoping to get to soon, The Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks. The MTV show looks incredible and I really want to read it before it premieres early next year!
- Currently Reading – I’m currently reading the 4th and final volume of Matt Fraction and David Aja’s Hawkeye which I was so sad to see come to an end. I really love Jeff Lemire but I haven’t picked up his reboot just yet. I’m also really addicted to Ranma 1 / 2 lately! I love that they’re reprinting the original in such a pretty new collection. The 3rd volume is pictured and I’m pretty in love with the cover.
- Pumpkins! – These are from a recent trip to Trader Joe’s to stock up on all of the pumpkiny goodness I could find but I’m going pumpkin and apple picking this coming weekend so looking that them is getting me even more into the spirit of Fall!
- Halloween Mickey Jewelry – When I saw this beautiful set from FemmeDeBloom on Etsy, I knew I had to have it. Disney and Halloween are two of the best things so combined, it makes me so happy. Plus, it’s really reasonably priced for a set that includes a necklace and earrings.
- Compilation of Orange Things – As I mentioned, I seem to be lacking things in the orange department so I started by grabbing some ginger Funko’s as a starting point, added my PSL #OrangeSleeveSociety cozy that Megan tweeted to me, a pair of pumpkin earrings I got on Etsy some time two years ago and my favorite pumpkin tea plus a pumpkin pie candle from Bath and Body Works.
- BB-8 – I preordered my Sphero BB-8 from ThinkGeek on Force Friday but I am still awaiting his arrival to my home so I visited one in the Disney Store in the meantime. He wasn’t for sale, otherwise I would’ve cancelled my preorder and picked him up on the spot!
Mean Girls is the movie that I quote more than any other film I’ve ever seen. It’s remained relevant after all this time and luckily my friend group is equally obsessed. For example, Kristin and I started our other blog together and named it On Wednesday We Wear Pink as an homage to Mean Girls and to female comic book lovers since Wednesdays is new comic book day (which I would assume you already know if you’re reading my blog because how else would you have ended up here?) Melissa and I even created the most horribly acted (seriously, we rewatched them recently and it was hilarious but also painful) Mean Girls meets Gotham videos at the very beginning of our friendship which are still floating around YouTube somewhere. I think it’s safe to call it a classic and refer to Tina Fey as a god of comedy.
Also a little interesting tidbit, I went to high school with Lindsay Lohan. It was considered “uncool” to like her movies since they were mostly on the Disney channel but as someone who stayed home from school to watch The Parent Trap on repeat and eat Oreo’s with peanut butter, I was pretty excited when I found out I’d be running into her in the hall. People were definitely mean to her but she wasn’t the nicest person either (I have several stories which I won’t share right now). She left in the middle of the year to film Mean Girls and once she finished she never returned. Mean Girls will always be one of my favorite movies and I admittedly still love The Parent Trap and Freaky Friday. I wish she had done more with her career instead of letting Hollywood transform her into what she is today. What a shame.
Anyway, I needed this shirt because PINK POKEMON. As I’ve stated many times, the most recent game I’m addicted to is Pokemon Shuffle and this shirt has almost all of my favorites eating lunch together. I’m also holding my beloved Jiggypuff Amiibo in some photos because he is a treasure and I’m happy to have him in my life! Also, it’s just about the coolest thing ever that Dylan’s Candy Bar is currently selling a collection of Mean Girls candy and cookies. I had to have the Burn Book (which I still haven’t eaten because IT’S TOO PRETTY #firstworldproblems) and some of the candy bars. I’m still considering getting the You Go Glen Coco hot cocoa because how could I not? Outfit details are below!
I’ve always been a huge fan of Karen Hallion’s artwork but I’ve never felt as compelled to own one of her shirts as when she debuted her Agent Carter design. The top means a lot to me for multiple reasons, the first being that I used to do video recaps each week for the Agent Carter televsion show while it was premiering on ABC. Besides loving the show and the character, I devoted so many hours of those few months to the SSR. I ended up quitting that position shortly after Agent Carter ended because the criticism I received from my then boss was that I’m “too female,” and it “alienates male viewers.” Never have I felt as disheartened about the comic book industry as I did then. Being female is not a thing I can or want to change so channeling Peggy and knowing my value, I quit without the slightest hint of guilt and I’ve never regretted it since.
Photos by Andrew Gallagher
I will preface this weeks 5 Fandom Friday by saying I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT AUTUMN. I love the cooler weather. I love wearing sweaters and scarves and sipping hot drinks and walking through colored leaves and getting into the Halloween spirit. But above all, I love the feeling that comes along with Autumn. It’s when school is starting back up and people seem more motivated and less aggravated by the unbearable heat and it’s just a generally great time of the year. A few weeks ago I posted my Autumn activities list and I’m already scheduling the time to dedicate to the things I want to do to completely enjoy and appreciate the season (plus, I’m so close to beating Luigi’s Mansion which is one of my goals so HOORAY!).
1) Pumpkin Everything! – I’ve already gone one several sprees to pick up any and all Pumpkin flavored foods at my local Target. I have yet to haul pumpkin goods from my annual Fall Trader Joe’s trip but I’m planning on going there in the coming weeks once everything is in stock. Last year I did a comprehensive end of season review of almost everything I tried and I feel good about knowing which things I can skip this year. I’ve been having my lunch on pumpkin spice bread every day for the past two weeks and it’s been the best thing in the world.2) Pumpkin & Apple Picking – Last year I went to this amazing gem of a place for pumpkin and apple picking with my now fiancee Andrew and my BFF Melissa. We’re planning on heading back again this year with Andrew’s many siblings (he’s one of five!) and I cannot wait because they’re all so great<3 There’s a giant corn maze with a mystery you have to solve, homemade Apple Cider donuts that you can watch being made while you wait on the line and of course, pumpkins and apples for picking!
3) Fall Wardrobe – I adore wearing sweaters, scarves and boots and the crisp Autumn air always demands it<3 I can’t wait to break out my sweaters again and accessorize for the cooler air. Plus, leather jackets! And I just recently reintroduced jeans into my wardrobe so I’m already foreseeing some adorable ensembles.
4) Fall Landscapes – I always feel so lucky to live close enough to Central Park that I can pop over once the leaves start changing and spend a few hours strolling around and admiring the view. Fall is so colorful which is exactly what I crave and I love stepping through leaves on the ground in knee high boots. This is one of my favorite photos I took of the Bow Bridge last Fall (you may recognize it from Amy & Rory’s final episode of Doctor Who!) and you can see the rest of my photos here. I can’t wait to spend some time there with Andrew this year!
5) PIE – This goes along with my first fall fave because Pumpkin Pie is everything! But I am not discriminatory and I love all pie in general I thought it made sense to include it on my list as it’s own category. Autumn pies are so delicious and I cannot wait to put more Pecan Pie in my mouth.
And now, Megan and I are ahead of the game for October topics for a very special reason. You may have noticed that I have a new 5 Fandom Friday graphic as my featured image and that is because my fiancee Andrew has been patiently teaching me Photoshop (despite how frustrated this n00b would get when trying to create / color all the fandom icons). I knew the first thing I wanted to create would be fandom related and I figured, what better way to experiment than to create something new for 5 Fandom Friday?! So in addition to the October topics which will be listed below, we’re also going to debut a 5 Fandom Friday Instagram Photo A Day Challenge for the month of October! I wanted to post it early so that everyone would have time to take their photos and we really hope you’ll enjoy playing along this month! If everyone likes it, it may be something we continue with! You can follow along on mine and Megan’s instagrams (we’ll be posting the graphic there too later in the week) and we’re both anxious for October 1st so we can start perusing the hashtag and see all the geeky goodness in our feeds!
October 2 – People You Want on Your Side During an Apocalypse (Kendall Ashley)
October 9 – Favorite Fictional Teachers (Heather Q – Beyond the Aisle)
October 16 – Top 5 Halloween Traditions (Sylvanfire)
October 23 – Characters I Want to Dress Up as for Halloween
October 30 – Favorite Halloween Episodes of TV Shows
So, before I talk about how in love I fell with this Soot Sprite dress by Her Universe, I have a little anecdote to tell regarding one of the props in my outfit photos. About six years ago my brother brought home this tiny little seed for a taro plant from Cornell. He planted it in a little pot and my mom took care of it while he was away at school and my brother promised to take it to his future dwelling once he graduated college and moved. Well, it’s been six years now and this tiny little seed grew into a giant monstrosity which overtakes our dining room and my brother has shown no sign of removing it anytime soon. If you sit on the right side of the table you will either 1) not be able to get to your seat without going completely around the other side and / or 2) you will constantly be hit in the face with Taro leaves. My mom is constantly cutting stalks off when they grow too unruly and as soon as I saw one my immediate thought was AH TOTORO LEAF! It fits perfectly with this outfit and I now have a slight appreciation for the plant (but of course, I won’t tell my brother that).
And now for the fashion part. This Soot Sprite dress is exclusive to Hot Topic and as I mentioned before, it was love at first sight. It’s such a subtle and attractive print and I love how it incorporates such bright neon colors as accents yet manages to remain neutral since the dominant colors are shades of grey, black and white. Susuwatari is Japanese for wandering soot which translated to soot sprite in the Studio Ghibli films Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro. Just putting this outfit on has put me in the mood for a Ghibli marathon! Which is your favorite film?
Photos by Andrew Gallagher
The season of pumpkin spice has arrived and I couldn’t be more excited! Even though my enthusiasm for my favorite flavor comes along with incessant mocking from my much cooler friends, I couldn’t care less. I am a proud pumpkin spice lover and I truly wish it were available year round. Today’s outfit of the day celebrates the waiting period until September finally hits and the wish that I had magical powers to summon the necessary foods to satiate my cravings. Outfit details below ^.^
Photos by Andrew Gallagher
Yesterday was one of the most exciting days in years for Star Wars fans since we all got to come together and celebrate Force Friday! I can’t even put into words how excited I am for The Force Awakens and I love that Disney put the forethought into releasing all of the amazing merchandise on the same day in every store around the country because it was honestly just the best idea. There was such a strong sense of community on all forms of social media and my heart smiled every single time I came across a BB-8 photo or video (which was really often!). The only difficulty people came across was not being able to find the Covergirl x Star Wars collection but there was so much other amazing stuff to make up for it (no pun intended) that I don’t mind waiting anything week or so to celebrate my love of Star Wars again. Here are my favorite pieces that were released for the big day (the only non-fashion item included is the Sphero BB-8 because OBVIOUSLY that droid had to be on here)! Information about where to buy everything I included below can be found on Polyvore.
I skipped a few Makeup Monday’s because I haven’t seen too many new things that really struck me, but I am loving this new eyeshadow palette by Too Faced so today seems like a good time to revive this post series. It’s the Stardust by Vegas Nay palette and it’s going to be available exclusively at Ulta for $45. It’ll show up online on August 23rd and in stores on September 6th. The design, colors and shadow names have a very glamorous old time Hollywood feel which is pretty irresistible. The palette was created by Naomi Giannopoulos (@Vegas_Nay) who is an an instagram beauty guru. There are 12 shades in all including a mix of shimmer and matte, loose glitter pigment, deluxe sizes of Shadow Insurance and Better Than Sex mascara (which is my ultimate go to ) and six looks to help you get started!
I’m a little late posting this due to a really busy week, but I really wanted to share my Harry Potter wish list so here it is! It’s a collection of random things that I feel like my life is missing. If you’ve read my other PotterWeek post about Hogwarts house pride, you’ll understand why there are so many things on here representing Ravenclaw (my favorite being the beautiful blanket from Look Human). There are three items from the Noble Collection (miniature Hedwig, the Maraduer’s Map, Ravenclaw diadem), a few great Etsy finds including a Luna Lovegood paper doll and those laptop decals which are super magical. You can see the full set on Polyvore which will direct you to the websites selling these items. What’s on your wish list?