Super Space Chick’s Weekly Round Up (#1)

Super Space Chick’s weekly round up is a new blog series in which I’ll be chatting to you about what’s going on in my life, what I’ve been posting on YouTube and my blog, some favorite instagram photos of the week, and such.  So basically just general life happenings and feelings!  I looooooove writing book reviews but I also love reading more personal blog posts so I want to make an effort to share more of my full life here and not just my reading life.

For my first weekly recap, I’m actually going to be recapping the past two weeks.  I had every intention of starting this blog series last weekend but things have been crazy around here and I just didn’t have the time.  Right after I had the idea, I was so excited to begin writing and then my mom ended up in the hospital again so naturally, that took priority.  Even today as I’m writing this on Easter Sunday, Andrew and I are about to start getting ready to take a train into NYC and head over to Sloan Kettering to see my mom.  But do to some pre-planned events, I do have other things to share as well.  Last weekend, my sisters and I planned the most fun weekend ever!  My sister-in-law Kristin (yup! same first and last name, spelled the same way!) and I drove into Brooklyn to meet up with Brittany and Molly at their Williamsburg apartment.  We briefly stopped at Barcade where Andrew and his brothers Joe (Kristin’s husband) and Greg were hanging out as part of the weekend Andrew and Joe planned for Greg’s bachelor party (Molly had extra game tokens to give them).  Then we continued on our way to Smorgasburg which I’ve always wanted to go to!  We got giant mozzarella sticks from Big Mozz, way too many french fries with garlic lemon aoili sauce from Home Frite, and churro ice cream sandwiches with sea salted caramel ice cream.  Which is WAY too much food for any one person but so worth it.  I really want to plan a trip back to try more!

Then we went to a cute little dive bar on Bedford Avenue where you get a free personal pizza which each drink you order.  We also saw a really cute pig in a sweater named Franklin at the local hardware store before heading home to meet up with our future sister in law Moira.  I also saw She’s the Man starring Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum for the first time ever and I could not stop laughing.  I’m so sad that I missed out on this wonderful movie during my younger years but I’m so happy it’s in my life now.  And I love that it’s based on Shakespeare!  The next day we all had brunch together and Brittany shared her White Girl Rose with us which was delicious.  And we played some Cards Against Humanity with all 6 of the siblings I’ve gained in marrying Andrew before driving back home.  There’s so many of us so it’s always a blast when we all get together!

Then we spent our next couple of nights at the hospital with my parents and my brother (side note, my brother got to interview Axel Alonso of Marvel, how cool is that?!)  But later in the week, Andrew and I already had tickets to Broadway shows on both Thursday AND Friday.  We went to the W Hotel in Times Square for some pre-show drinks (I had rose with bubbles and Andrew had Dark and Stormy’s).  I love it there.  It’s such a fun atmosphere- there are lots of neon lights and the table set up makes you feel a bit like your in a spaceship.  Actually, the ladies room even had a giant poster slide show of Star Wars images which I was not at all expecting.  We saw Waitress starring Sara Bareilles (she’s playing the starring role of Jenna for 10 weeks only!) and we really loved it.  I got a mini key lime pie and they actually infuse the scent of pies into the theater before the show and during the intermission.  We had previously seen half of Waitress when Jesse Mueller was in it because we made the mistake of eating at a sketchy Asian restaurant beforehand and we both needed to leave at intermission.  This time around we got to see the full thing and I thought Sara was amazing! My favorite characters are Dawn and Ogie though.  They’re basically the cutest couple ever.

Then on Friday night we saw Bandstand with Kelly and Gil!  Unfortunately, my mom was in her fifth surgery of the week and before the show was starting, I still hadn’t heard an update from my dad or brother.  I think that combined with the false report of an active shooter near Penn Station and being seated in the middle of the row, feeling like I couldn’t get out without disrupting anyone if my dad was going to call triggered a major anxiety attack.  I didn’t get to enjoy the show as much as everyone else because I was mostly trying to calm myself down and tell myself that everything would be okay.  Even after hearing that everything went well from my dad, I still was having trouble calming myself down.  I did really love the music in the show and I was able to pay attention enough to understand the story but I do wish I could’ve gotten more lost in it.  The play was really sad and the music was all 40’s style, taking place right after World War II ended.  It’s a very accurate portrayal of what soldiers experience once they get home (it’s actually the only Broadway play approved by “Got Your 6 which highlights projects that depict veterans both accurately and responsibly.”- a piece of trivia Kelly told us after the show).  Once the play ended and we left the theater, I felt almost instantly better and calmer.  Then on Saturday morning, Andrew and I went to the local high school and jogged around the track.  When I told my dad he was like wait YOU were running though?  I’ve always hated running so this is a pretty big deal.  It ended up being really good for me and despite being completely sore in every place you can imagine today, it also feels really good.  When we got home, I made pizza with a cauliflower crust for the first time and I’m definitely adding it into our weekly dinner rotation.  Anyway, these will be much shorter in the future but I wanted to highlight the good things in the past couple of weeks because it’s been EXHAUSTING.  We’ve been getting home from the hospital between 11-12AM each night and then we get up between 5-6AM for work so it’s been a lot.

Reading: I finished reading: The Titan’s Curse (Percy Jackson #3) by Rick Riordan which I enjoyed much more than the first two books, The Long Game (The Fixer #2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes and I’m DYING for a third book so everyone please buy the first two so she can write and publish a third, Fireworks by Katie Cotugno which takes place in Orlando in the 90’s during the boyband craze and once again Katie wrote an incredibly messy and addicting story, and Princess Jellyfish volume 3 which went in a different direction than I was expecting but I’m still enjoying this series very much!

Watching: We finished watching: 13 Reasons Why which is such an important story and will hopefully help teens realize how much our actions can affect other people, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid which I really hope gets a second season because this anime has a very special place in my heart and we continued watching iZombie season 2 which seems to keep getting better, and our usual shows: New Girl, Fresh Off the Boat and we started Powerless which is pretty funny!

I posted a bit less over the past two weeks.  I did happen to bulk film a bunch of videos right before my mom went into the hospital so I was able to post regularly for the first week but last week when the exhaustion kicked in, I only managed to get one video up.  But I should be back to normal shortly!

23 Responses to “Super Space Chick’s Weekly Round Up (#1)”

1. Dori says:

I hope your mother feels better now! It must be very hard on you and your family. My thoughts are with you!
    I loved this new series starter post, great addition to your blog :)

2. Megan says:

Love this new style of post! Sounds like you had a good time in Brookyln. I really hope your mother feels better soon <3
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/
    Megan recently posted…Top Ten Anticipated Books of May 2017My Profile

3. I hope your mom is feeling better and that she has a full recovery! I want to see Waitress, I love the soundtrack and that’s amazing that smells like pies!!
    Alyssa Zumpino recently posted…Bookish Fancasting #1: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny HanMy Profile

4. Sara S says:

It’s looks like you’ve been up to a lot of super fun things!! I’ve always wanted to go to Smorgasburg! How funny that your sis-in-law has the same name! I hope your mom is doing well!
    Sara S recently posted…Outfit: Pink SpringMy Profile

5. Oh man, it looks like you ate some great food in NYC! I saw Waitress last summer with the original cast and LOVED it. Did you know that the pie scent in the theater is due to the fact that they BAKE AN ACTUAL PIE in the lobby right before every show? So clever. I’m dying to see Bandstand because I love both Laura Osnes and Corey Cott. I just picked up Fireworks this week after hearing Katie Cotugno speak at a panel, and I’m so excited to read it! II hope your mom feels better soon, and I hope this week is a bit calmer for you! <3
    Madalyn @ Novel Ink recently posted…Calling All Bibliophiles: Co-Blogger SearchMy Profile

I’m SO jealous that you got to see Waitress with Sara B – she’s one of my favorite singers! And I can’t believe you just saw She’s the Man for the first time! CRAZY!
    Rachel recently posted…6 Financial Moves to Make Before 30My Profile

7. I hope your mom is doing better, Kristin! Sending positive vibes your way! <3 I am loving this round up post, and I love that you compiled up all of your videos at the bottom, it makes it so easy and convenient for me to catch up with your videos!
    Cristina @ Girl in the Pages recently posted…Pretty Fierce Blog Tour | Author Q&A with Kieran ScottMy Profile

8. I hope your mom is doing well, wishing her (and you of course) all the best! I have always wanted to try cauliflower crust pizza! I def need to sometime. And I was so addicted to 13 Reasons Why. I haven’t read the book, but I was highly impressed with the show. It definitely didn’t shy away from really hard topics, and I think that’s really important especially for something aimed at teens. I was really impressed!
    Kay Nyman – My Open Sketchbook recently posted…Bullet Journal Tour!My Profile

• Thanks Kay! It sounds like my mom might be able to come home tomorrow (!!!!!!!!) thankfully! I highly recommend cauliflower pizza. It’s so delicious and it’s really easy to make- especially if you buy the preblended cauliflower at the grocery store! My one huge mistake was cooking it on foil instead of parchment paper but I know for next time!
      Kristin (SuperSpaceChick) recently posted…Super Space Chick’s Weekly Round Up (#1)My Profile

9. OMG I love that you just saw She’s the Man!! I haven’t seen the full movie in a few years so I now need to do that ASAP. So funny.

I hope your mom is doing well <3

My friend usually comes to visit for Easter and she was stuck in Penn Station (on her way to my house from work in NYC) and ended up having to go home instead :( She said it was easily the scariest moment of her life, between the shooter rumors and not knowing how true they were, and the stampede. Thank god there wasn't actually a shooter.

I love this new feature and how you break it into the categories! I always want to do a weekly recap instead of my two monthly ones, but I'm bad about actively blogging on weekends.

Thanks Lauren<3 And OMG your poor friend! I was scared and I thankfully wasn't even in Penn at the time, just close by. That's usually around when I'm there though so I was freaking out a little bit. I'm glad that your friend got home safely. What a world we live in :-/ And thank you! I would love to read more life recaps on your blog if you decide to break it up!!!

I wish the best for you and your mom, seriously. <3

I'm so excited for this new blog series, Kristin!! I talked with an Instagram friend the other day telling him about how I feel guilty for neglecting my blog in favour of social media during the last few year, because it looks easier sharing content there than on the blog and it made me a very lazy person. But I want to get better at it. With the algorithms, paid ads, bots everywhere, Instagram (and the other social media) are basically just a commercial thing and, compared to when I started almost 10 years ago, blogs look dead now. Everybody wants to monetize and earn money.

So, I want to change my laziness and start blogging again more personal stuff.

Sorry for the rant, haha.
    Alice recently posted…MinimalismMy Profile

Thank you Alice<3 And I totally agree about Instagram! It's so much easy to micro-blog but the algorithms and promotions are killing me :-/ I just want to see all the photos the people who I follow post! This is also my attempt to get back to the roots of what I love about blogging and how I started in the first place!

11. I hope you’re mom is doing well. I lost my dad at a young age, and it shows you how important your parents can be.
    Mariah Kaercher recently posted…Dice Rolling & Deck Building; Star Wars DestinyMy Profile