This is the third year that I’m participating in Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner’s annual end of year survey (and the 7th year that Jamie is hosting it!). I love having another excuse to write about books and my reading habits throughout 2016! I really enjoyed my time completing the survey the last two years and it’s a great way to reflect on what I’ve consumed. If you’re interested, you can read my 2014 survey answers here, and my 2015 answers here!
Number Of Books You Read: 143 books
Number of Re-Reads: 4 (3 graphic novels + Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix)
Genre You Read The Most From: WOW I’m not sure that this has ever happened before but I’ve read exactly 39 fantasy novels and 39 contemporary novels this year so it’s a tie!
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Fantasy / Sci-Fi – A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
Contemporary / Thriller – The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
Manga series – Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken – I LOVE Passenger with a deep fiery passion but TDM took me forever to get through and just didn’t do anything for me
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis – I came so close to passing this one over because the cover is so hideous but fortunately Monica & Jane raved about it and gave me an actual synopsis and I loved it so much.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
This is Our Story by Ashley Elston! I read this toward the end of the year so I’m going to be pushing it for years to come but I really really loved this one! Every time someone comments on one of my YouTube videos that they read it and loved it, it makes me so happy!
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Series Started – An Ember in the Ashes / A Torch Against the Night
Best Sequel – A Court of Mist and Fury, duh
Best Series Ender – Ha! You really think I can choose between The Raven King and Crooked Kingdom? Good one.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
This is probably a tie between Mindy McGinnis and Ashley Elston. I’ve read one book of each of theirs and added the rest of their backlists to my physical TBR! I also really love Becky Albertalli and Kasie West.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. I normally don’t read non-fiction but this book, while it had some ridiculous ways to explain things, really is life-changing. I feel so good about my apartment and how tidy everything is after I took her advice and donated so much of the things that I was holding on to for the wrong reasons.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Thriller – This is Our Story by Ashley Elston! I just loved this one so much!
Fantasy – Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Caraval by Stephanie Garber. WOW this book was pure magic.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
Ah because this must be a book I read in 2016, my answer will be different than the one I gave in my Top 10 covers of 2016 video since I was going by pub date. Cover of a book I read would have to go to The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater<333
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
The first three characters that immediately popped into my mind are 1) Kaz Brekker, 2) Rhysand and 3) Victor Vale.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
I really enjoyed the way The Love that Split the World was written. While I took some issue with the story, I think the prose was quite lovely.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
This would also have to go to The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. It was a game changer!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Congratulations entire Infernal Devices trilogy, this category goes to you. What an addicting series. I love those characters so very much and I can’t believe I had let my lukewarm TMI feelings deter me from Will, Tessa and Jem<3!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
I’m never good at writing down passages from books but I’m going to try to have an answer in 2017!
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest: Not counting comics, it’s Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroisom, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (70 pages)
Longest: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (870 pages)
Oh hey, they’re both Harry Potter!
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Caraval by Stephanie Garber. I was losing my mind midway through the story!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Feysand of course.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The Raven Boys and Blue collectively
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
A Court of Mist and Fury
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I read The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak after MUCH peer pressure and all I have to say is THANK YOU.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Oliver from Shuffle, Repeat by Jen Klein. He’s such an amazing guy!
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
Contemporary: Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider
Fantasy / Sci-Fi: The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Caraval by Stephanie Garber
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Geek’s Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash. I loved feeling like I was back at NYCC a couple of months before the actual event.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
City of Heavenly Fire OMG the feels.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
This is Our Story by Ashley Elston
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
Pivot Point by Kasie West
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
Read at Midnight and Twirling Pages
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
Video: My favorite Spines With Wines liveshow that we hosted this year is for The Graces by Laure Eve.
Written: ‘Tis the Season: We’re All Decorated for Christmas (because Christmas!)
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
My Summer of Sailor Scouts posts and Potter Month posts!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Virtual: Always the Love-A-Thon. It’s my favorite bookish event of the year!!!
IRL: Either the PassTruth Tour because that was just AMAZING but obviously I also loved BEA! It was fun to travel to Chicago despite it being chaotic since I was getting married two weeks after. I literally landed and went straight to my florist. Talk about hectic!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
I was a bad blogger mid-year. I posted about it on my blog LOL but I really spent much more time focusing on YouTube. I finally feel like I’m in a good blogging place now that I’ve revamped some things and I honestly swear the The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is also responsible for the boost in my creativity and motivation. I feel so clear-headed now that I’m not looking at piles of books and clothes and camera equipment.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My Peter Pan Reading Challenge post – it randomly got popular on Pinterest!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Eep! I’m not sure!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Bookish candles! Now that my room is completely clean, I’m also no longer worried that I will set a fire by burning a candle while I read. It’s seriously SO enjoyable and I’m so thankful for nights I get to spend reading next to one. Some favorite shops are Novelly Yours, The Melting Library and In the Wick of Time!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes, ALL THE CHALLENGES (except re-reading. I still suck at re-reading >.<) I successfully completed:
1) My Goodreads goal
2) Flights of Fantasy
3) Contemporary Romance Reading Challenge
4) Finishing the Series Challenge
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. It was one of my most anticipated and I let mixed reviews scare me off. Not that I read solely based on reviews, but they do influence what I pick up and I was mostly scared of being disappointed about a book I was really looking forward to.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
A Court of Wings and Ruin! #ACOWAR
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Contemporary: Seven Days of You by Cecilia Vinesse
Fantasy: Caraval by Stephanie Garber even though I already read it. I just want both of my physical copy preorders in my hands!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
Fantasy Enders: Throne of Glass #6 and ACOWAR- I am so not ready to say goodbye to Aelin and crew OR Feyre and crew!
Fantasy Sequel: Would’ve been the next An Ember in the Ashes but it got pushed back so TEARS
Contemporary Ender: Always and Forever Lara Jean by Jenny Han<333
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Be happy with the content I’m posting! That’s really what it’s all about :-)6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Caraval by Stephanie Garber.