5 Fandom Friday: Bookish & Geeky Podcasts You NEED to Listen to

5 Fandom Friday is a weekly meme hosted by yours truly and Megan of The Nerdy Girlie!  For more information, here’s our introduction post about how 5FF came into being.

I am completely addicted to Podcasts.  Last year I went from being someone who would just walk around NYC to her destination (namely, work and back) looking at the world around her, to becoming a a girl who perpetually has headphones in her ears aka a full blown podcast junkie.  Since I walk 3 miles per day Monday – Friday, I tend to blow through them rather quickly so I’ve spent a lot of this year going back and listening to podcasts I love from episode 1 to current.  Below are my top 5 favorites!

5FF Podcasts

1) Talking Comics / Talking Shojo / The Missfits – Okay, so this might seem like three podcasts (and technically it totally is) but I’m cheating by placing them all together because they come from the same podcast family and the hosts tend to shift between each of the shows under their umbrella.  Each show follows a similar format and runs for 1-2 hours depending on the episode.  Each episode begins with recommendations from each person before they get into the topic they’re covering that episode.  Talking comics obviously focuses on comics but they also review comics films. Talking Shojo covers anime and the girls always give great manga recommendations and The Missfits is a group of females covering a plethora of geeky topics!

2) Welcome to Night Vale – This is the podcast I’ve been listening to the longest. I started it when I would drive to work and I fell about a year behind when I switched over to commuting by train because trains are made for reading on IMO.  When I started listening to podcasts while walking, I quickly caught up and super quick and now I’m always on top of new episodes.  Night Vale probably needs to explanation at this point but it’s a fictional news podcast about a strange town called Night Vale.

3) Sword and Laser – This is a nerdy news and book podcast that focuses on adult science fiction and fantasy novels.  It’s hosted by Veronica Belmont (who you might know from the Vaginal Fantasy book club) and Tom Meritt.  This is honestly one of my favorite podcasts.  I listen to it just as much for the witty banter between Tom and Veronica as I do for the book news.  I also like that I’m able to listen to it even if I haven’t read the book they’re reading for the month since the spoilery sections seem to be contained to the goodreads threads.

4) First Draft – This is a podcast that Alice introduced to me and I’m so happy she did!  It’s hosted by Sarah Enni who travels around the U.S. interviewing a ton of YA authors.  Each episode is dedicated to a different interview and they tend to run at about 59 minutes each. In addition to finding out more about the author’s background (where they grew up, how they got into writing etc.) Sarah ends each episode by asking for the author for writing advice.

5) Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy – This podcast was developed by WIRED and each episode features an interview with someone from geeky pop culture.  Sometimes the host David will interview authors (some favorite episodes include Patrick Rothfuss, Ernest Cline and Joe Hill) and other times he’ll interview people who specialize in different fields.  The last episode is about geek feminism and I’m planning on listening to that one tomorrow morning!

What are some of your favorite podcasts? I’m always looking for new recommendations! Especially any that are bookish or geeky!

20 Responses to “5 Fandom Friday: Bookish & Geeky Podcasts You NEED to Listen to”

Podcasts are the one thing I haven’t really gotten into yet. I know there are some out there I’d enjoy, but I feel like it’s just OE more thing to keep up with!
    B recently posted…Guess Who’s Going To Saved By The Max?!My Profile

I hear that! If it wasn’t for my long walk each day, I would never stay as up to date as I have recently! I’m so jealous of people who are allowed to listen to them at work!

2. Cassie says:

I think you would enjoy Flash Forward, which imagines a crazy potential future (for example: a future where you know your death date or a future where pets are illegal) and then explores that crazy idea for an episode.
    Cassie recently posted…Waiting on Wednesday: ‘Three Dark Crowns’ by Kendare BlakeMy Profile

3. Desiree says:

NightVale is one of the first podcasts I started listening to. Have you heard Alice Isn’t Dead? It’s made by the same people. I’ll have to check some of the others out.

I’m actually relatively new to podcasts, so it’s cool to see new recommendations to try! I got into it because of First Draft (which I love), and I’m definitely checking out Talking Shojo :)
    Alexa S. recently posted…{Bookish} Style Files: The Travis Family SeriesMy Profile

Yay! I’m so glad you like First Draft! The other one I’m obsessed with (which is completely different, topics-wise) is LORE – which covers like real life incidents of weird/creepy things that relate to those things in folklore/pop culture. So like last week’s episode was about the idea of “ghost ships” and focused on the Queen Mary.

I have been meaning to start Night Vale FOREVER, and I am so going to listen to that podcast ep on geek feminism! Thanks!!
    Alice recently posted…Book Review: THE GEEK’S GUIDE TO UNREQUITED LOVEMy Profile

I remember you telling me about Lore! I haven’t added that one into my rotation yet but I’ve seen it in so many posts this week and now I’m super intrigued! I think you’ll really enjoy Night Vale! It’s such absurd fiction!

6. Ashlee says:

I used to really enjoy Welcome to Night Vale but I haven’t listened in a while. I’ll have to catch back up! I’m really liking their Alice Isn’t Dead series!
    Ashlee recently posted…5FF: Fave PodcastsMy Profile

7. Sara says:

Ooooh, I’ve never heard of First Draft before, but it sounds like something I’d like! Giving that a listen!
    Sara recently posted…Outfit: Awkward Is My SpecialtyMy Profile

8. Definitely adding The Missfits and Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy to my subscribe list! They sound great!
    Kay Nyman – My Open Sketchbook recently posted…5 Fandom Friday: Favorite PodcastsMy Profile

I definitely need more geeky podcasts in my life, my list is pretty short, so I really enjoyed reding these recommendations! I’m going to check out First Draft and Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy <3
    Alice recently posted…Exploring My Bookshelves | Favorite Bookish FatherMy Profile

10. Jackie says:

Neat! For some reason, I’ve never been a huge fan of audiobooks because they don’t keep my attention well, but I am keen on podcasts. Though, I don’t listen to them nearly as much as a should. I’ve listened to Welcome to Nightvale, and I enjoy it immensely (though I’m STILL only at the beginning). I’ll have to check out Sword and Laser now too :)
    Jackie recently posted…Summer Mornings with Pique TeaMy Profile