For this week’s 5 Fandom Friday I decided to throw together a little hodgepodge of my favorite holiday recommendations in 5 different categories. I’m going to be doing a book specific holiday recommendations post next week so I thought it would be nice to compile my top favorite favorites here today.
1) Book – My True Love Gave To Me – This book is full of short stories set during the holidays. It’s perfect to read during the season when you can’t devote as much time to reading a full blown novel. I read it last year and really enjoyed it and I’m planning on re-reading it this year and writing a full review of each tale!
2) Cookie – Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies – My mom makes these every year and I have never been able to resist them when they’re just sitting there on our table basically begging to be eaten. It’s essentially a shortbread cookie with a scoop of raspberry jam in the middle. I’m a sucker for raspberry anything so these have always been my holiday favorite!
3) Drink – Gluhwein – It’s been a tradition in my family since long before I was born for my grandfather to make a huge batch of gluhwein. It’s a mulled wine (full of tons of liquor) and can be garnished with a cinnamon stick or orange slices. It’s so delightful to warm up a cup on a freezing cold winter night and sip it while reading or watching tv. Luckily, my grandfather has been teaching my dad and brother to brew his version for the past few years so the recipe will continue to be passed down throughout our family.
4) Song – Baby It’s Cold Outside – I just adore this song. Paticularly, the She & Him version. I play this on repeat without ever feeling the slightest bit sick of it and I love singing along and switching parts or singing both by myself if I’m alone. Zooey’s vocals are so beautiful<3
5) Movie – Elf – Elf is one holiday movie that I watch year round. I love everything about it! The humor, the positive Christmas spirit message it sends and obviously Buddy’s enthusiasm and eating habits. Andrew and I have been quoting Elf to each other since we met (a sure sign of true love if you ask me).
Decorations – Rolf’s – Andrew and I went to Rolf’s for the first time last year. We spent at least 1.5 hours (it honestly could’ve been more) waiting outside in the freezing cold December weather just for the opportunity to get inside. Rolf’s takes Christmas decorations to a whole other level. It’s like Christmas exploded inside. Plus, there’s gluhwein! We’re definitely planning on going back this year because despite the wait, the experience was just perfect.