Outfit of the Day: Studio Ghibli Susuwatari

So, before I talk about how in love I fell with this Soot Sprite dress by Her Universe, I have a little anecdote to tell regarding one of the props in my outfit photos.  About six years ago my brother brought home this tiny little seed for a taro plant from Cornell.  He planted it in a little pot and my mom took care of it while he was away at school and my brother promised to take it to his future dwelling once he graduated college and moved.  Well, it’s been six years now and this tiny little seed grew into a giant monstrosity which overtakes our dining room and my brother has shown no sign of removing it anytime soon.  If you sit on the right side of the table you will either 1) not be able to get to your seat without going completely around the other side and / or 2) you will constantly be hit in the face with Taro leaves.  My mom is constantly cutting stalks off when they grow too unruly and as soon as I saw one my immediate thought was AH TOTORO LEAF! It fits perfectly with this outfit and I now have a slight appreciation for the plant (but of course, I won’t tell my brother that).

And now for the fashion part.  This Soot Sprite dress is exclusive to Hot Topic and as I mentioned before, it was love at first sight.  It’s such a subtle and attractive print and I love how it incorporates such bright neon colors as accents yet manages to remain neutral since the dominant colors are shades of grey, black and white.   Susuwatari is Japanese for wandering soot which translated to soot sprite in the Studio Ghibli films Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.  Just putting this outfit on has put me in the mood for a Ghibli marathon!  Which is your favorite film?

IMG_8788

IMG_8798

IMG_8801

IMG_8840

IMG_8809

IMG_8824

IMG_8842

IMG_8846

IMG_8826

Dress: Her Universe @ Hot Topic | Shoes: Melissa (no longer available) | Totoro Phone Case: eBay

Earrings: Gift | Belt: Forever 21 (similar) | Necklace: Nordstrom (similar)

Photos by Andrew Gallagher

16 Responses to “Outfit of the Day: Studio Ghibli Susuwatari”

1. Meghan Sara says:

GASP! Is that a taro leaf?!? IT’S HUGE!!! I wanna grow a Taro plant now!!!
    Meghan Sara recently posted…How To Be A “Good” Feminist, By A Feminist, For FeministsMy Profile

Oh my gosh that dress is super cute, I need it in my life xoxo
    Cate recently posted…Inspirational Quotes #66My Profile

3. I am obsessed with this dress!!! It’s so perfect it instantly became my favorite Her Universe item I own! I want to wear it everyday hahaha. The colors are perfect and I love all-over patterns like this. It’s 100% my style I love it so much. ♡♡♡

Everything about this post and outfit is ADORABLE. I especially love the shoes. :) (And that is indeed a HUGE leaf)
    Alice recently posted…RSW 2015: FinalMy Profile

5. Tonya says:

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS OUTFIT IT’S SO GREAT!

I’d love to do posts like these, but I’m not near cute enough and I lack a photographer ^_^
    Tonya recently posted…Off the Shelf | The Amazing Second Story of Every BookMy Profile

6. Robert says:

Don’t pretend like you don’t absolutely LOVE my taro plant! That green tentacled monstrosity is an important member of the family!!

7. Sara S says:

This outfit is too cute for words!! That print is adorable! From a distance it looks like it could be just your average cool print, but close up you can see that it’s even more awesome!
    Sara S recently posted…Hogwarts Story TagMy Profile

8. You are ADORABLE as ever and I love that soot sprite dress!

9. Nina says:

AAAHH!! I’ve been drooling over that dress ever since I saw it at the Her Universe fashion show in July! You look super kawaii in it and I love how you styled it with Studio Ghibli accessories :D And I actually just got that Totoro phone case while I was in Hawaii. It’s the best!
    Nina recently posted…Punch It, Chewie!My Profile

Thank you so much!!! I saw it at the HU fashion show too and I basically checked Ht online every single day until it finally appeared! And yes! I LOVE the Totoro phone case. It’s just the cutest! And it’s cushiony if you drop your phone too!

I LOVE THIS DRESS! It’s super cute. And yes, that stalk is the perfect prop for this outfit ;)

11. It’s perfect for my girlfriend!!