Arrow Vs. The Flash

I’ll never forget how excited I was to learn that Green Arrow would be the main character on a prime time television show.  The times have seriously changed in regard to the wide acceptance of comic book characters and since then, The Flash, Gotham, Agent Carter and Daredevil (I’m not counting Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. because it’s boring and I just cannot get into no matter how many times I try) have also been picked up (and most recently SUPERGIRL *dances*) There’s almost nothing I love more than seeing these characters explored in the format of a television series.  I really love that we get to spend more time in their worlds than we would if they had been made into a film (not to mention the first films would ALL be origin stories… again, boring) and see them develop even further.

I had been convinced that Arrow would be my new favorite show, but once The Flash premiered I knew I was sorely mistaken.  It pains me to say this but because I LOVE Felicity Smoak and Ray Palmer, but lately Arrow hasn’t been holding my interest or living up to my expectations.  If there’s one thing Arrow should do right, it’s Black Canary, and it just hasn’t happened.  Sarah was pretty okay (by no means was she impressive enough to live up to the Black Canary in our comics) but Laurel is probably the worst character ever.  Every time she comes onscreen I feel annoyed.  I’m angry with DC for ruining such an amazing character.  It actually blows my mind to even be writing this article because John Barrowman is a reoccurring character on Arrow.  How could I not love a show with John Barrowman?!  Also, has anyone else gotten slightly irritated with how emo Oliver is?  I am one of those people that does NOT ship Felicity with Oliver because she deserves SO MUCH BETTER.  I’m also not super into Thea’s storyline but as long as Felicity and Ray have a home in Starling City, I’ll continue to watch it weekly.  TBH it wasn’t until The Flash started airing that I actually put a ton of thought into analyzing my Arrow feelings.  In retrospect, I think I was so excited that Arrow was actually on TV that I wasn’t worried about whether it was actually good.

On the other hand, The Flash, is just about everything I was looking for in a TV show.  I’m not saying that it’s perfect, there are some definite issues with the series (particularly with Iris and several plot holes), but since episode one premiered I feel like I’ve been having all-caps FUN.  Barry is awkward and sweet and so genuine in all of his relationships.  I love that while he is aware that his identity could put others in danger, he doesn’t shut out the entire world.  He still relies heavily on Joe for life advice and he tries to be the best friend he can be to Iris.  I also really love Caitlin, Cisco and Wells as Barry’s scientific team.  Most of all, season one of The Flash has not yet concluded but SO MUCH has happened.  The story is very quick paced and it’s hard to wrap my mind around the fact that it only starting airing last October.  There is nothing that I love more than when Felicity Smoak visits Central City because her interactions with Barry are just my absolute favorite thing to watch.

Overall, I have to say that The FlashArrow.  While darker shows can be executed wonderfully (ie. Daredevil), there’s no need for as much angst as Oliver Queen loves to bring us every week.  Barry and his merry band of science folk have won this girl’s heart and I can’t wait to see how the season is going to end.  In the meantime, I am SO EXCITED about seeing Supergirl in the fall, I’m crossing all of my fingers that ABC will renew Agent Carter, I’m ECSTATIC that we’re getting another season of Daredevil, and I have yet to get into Gotham but I remember enjoying The Penguin in the first few episodes I did see.

11 Responses to “Arrow Vs. The Flash”

Starting from the fact that I never read the comics, so I don’t know the original plot, I must say that I have your same feelings concerning Arrow and The Flash. I watched Arrow since episode 1 and I loved it until Slade Wilson became the bad guy, then everything started being too dark/sad to me. I loved the Queens’ house scenery and also the island flashbacks, but they’re gone. Laurel…oh boy, I’d hit her face everytime she shows herself! Oliver’s character is terribly sad right now and, as you said, only Felicity and Ray are funny to watch. As much as I dislike Arrow right now, I LOVE The Flash, everybody’s so perfect (I even like Dr. Wells!) and the series is not soooo dark. The Flash > Arrow also for me!

I agree with you completely on Arrow and I kinda wish that Ray and Felicity would move to Central City because they were so damn cute in that crossover episode! xoxo
    Cate recently posted…Almond Butter & Coconut Cookies (Gluten Free)My Profile

3. Lynoire says:

I agree with you completely about Arrow; I even stopped watching it halway through last season, but to be completely honest, one of my reasons was Felicity…I actually started to like Laurel’s character.
    I enjoy The Flash, but I can’t take it seriously; The problem is, that I don’t know if it should or shouldn’t be taken seriously…Does it even make sense? :)
    Lynoire recently posted…Star Wars Day 2015My Profile

4. Joie Fatale says:

I feel like this season on Arrow, they’re attempting to re-hash some things, and thus it is a SLOW season. That being said I’m glad they are FINALLY showing some love to Laurel. She’s finally getting some better dialogue, and, YAY FINALLY with the Canary Cry!

I’m glad the writer’s are trying to save Iris too! And they’re not waiting until the 3rd season (like they did with Laurel). I am excited for the changes. And I wanted to ship Barry x Felicity but there’s something cousin-ish for me about them. Ray x Felicity is so cute cause there’s nerdy-lust going on! Felicity was too leet for Olilie too!

Can’t wait for more comic shows! And I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Supergirl, and saying prayers for more Agent Carter!!!
    Joie Fatale recently posted…Garnet Workout CosplayMy Profile

5. I wholeheartedly agree that Flash > Arrow. HOWEVER, this week’s episode of Flash irritated me to no end. I love that we finally got to see GRODD, but so much of that episode just made me want to facepalm. Notably Iris. And the way they went after GRODD. Senseless. Ugh.

Anywho. SUPER excited for all the comic shows. I actually have a theory about what’s going to happen at the end of this season of Flash/Arrow that would make next season of both REALLY good <3 And omg Supergirl, yes please!
    obsessivegirlfan recently posted…Obsessive Wednesdays: Gettin’ GirlyMy Profile

We’ve discussed briefly before our thoughts on both of these shows, but yeah, general agreement here is that Flash (right now) is a better show than Arrow is. This season has been all over the place, and while appreciate they’re finally taking the time to work on both Thea and Laurel, I can’t say it’s super successful (especially with Laurel who has been a problem since the beginning – it’s like I can see them grasping and trying to make something stick). Another mark of how meh this season of Arrow has been is that in recent episodes it’s actually made me dislike characters I love – like Felicity and Diggle (how???)! They’ve been coming off as so one-note and angsty lately, and Ray… As I’ve told you, I’m not really a shipper at all (though I was into the Olicity thing – until that recent ep which was just a big DO NOT WANT), but I was fine with Ray and Felicity – until the writers kind of turned him into a big jerk those couple of eps when he found out everyone’s secret identities, and that just kind of soured me on him. Like I get him being upset by the secrets and lies, but the way he treated Felicity was a little too out-of-line, especially considering how distressed she was over more immediately threatening things and the fact that he knows he doesn’t have the whole picture on the situation and that Felicity has a strong history with Oliver & co. Anyway, like I said, it just soured me on Ray and it doesn’t help that I’m annoyed with like 95% of the characters on the show currently.

Flash, on the other hand, I enjoy thoroughly every week and sincerely hope they get their stuff together when it comes to Iris. Here’s hoping!

(P.S. It also doesn’t help that Daredevil was so excellent. It just makes me that much more frustrated with Arrow – which I know you can’t really compare it with but as you said, tonally – and even a bit visually – they share similarities.)
    Alice recently posted…Currently…(4)My Profile

7. Thiago says:

I didn’t watched Arrow yet, but The Flash is one of my favorite recent TV shows :)

8. Georgina Quiñones says:

hey Kristin

I like what you have to say about The Flash and Arrow , I will start with Arrow. I was annoyed by the tittle of the series. Why couldn’t it be Green Arrow? His first apperance as the Arrow he was dressed in Green so I didn’t see the point of just calling him Arrow. Then Laurel was just a regular daddy’s girl, not the Laurel we know from the Comics the one that should have been in Sarah’s place. Why would they create a character name Sarah and made her the Canary? I have no idea why go that way. it could have been easier to just start with Laurel. Now we have this annoying character name Black Canary that gets her ass kicked all the time. Although, she now can fight because she was train by Ras Al Ghul’s daughter Nyssa who was also a love interest of Sarah in the series. The Atom is not even shrinking in the series like in the comics, that is one of his k powers, that he can shrink to the sides of an atom that’s why he got his name from. in the series he’s more like an Iron Man than the actual character Atom. I have a feeling they are waiting to see how Antmen does in the movies before they start spending money on special effects for the new spinoff series now with a new tittle Legends of Tomorrow. The Flash is getting so good now with it’s season finally approaching I am enjoying every minute of it. And Cisco was the one that invented and gave Laurel the Canary Cry. Which I like better then what Sarah was doing with the sonic cry. Oh and I forgot to mention that they have been introducing the character Katana in Arrow and she finally appeared in the costume in this week episode it was awesome. I also can’t wait for Supergirl.
    I miss you in ThinkabouttheInk.

Yes yes yes! I’m so glad you love these shows too! Lately, I’ve been feeling the same as you — Arrow is good but it hasn’t been as entertaining as The Flash, which is just so freaking awesome! All of the characters are wonderful and I want to be friends with them all (maybe not Dr. Wells).

I heard that Agent Carter was renewed! Also, not a superhero show, but have you seen iZombie? It’s a fun show!
    Sara Strauss recently posted…Sponsor Spotlight: Hola Darla + GiveawayMy Profile

Yes! I’m in the middle of trying to catch up on iZombie! It’s entirely different from the comic (the main character’s name isn’t even the same!) but it’s definitely a fun show!