5 Fandom Friday: Authors I Would Love To Invite To My Thanksgiving Feast

My how I’ve grown to love Fridays!  First things first: For the past few weeks Megan and I have been working hard to figure out a better system for linking all the 5 Fandom Friday bloggers in one place.  At first I was adding links as they were sent to me but it ended up being really challenging because everyone posts at different times throughout the day and some people don’t even publish their post on Fridays at all (which is totally fine!).  I tend to publish my posts between 6 and 7 am because I have a full time job and it’s not blogging.  So, not being able to update my post with links until Friday evening or the next morning while the links kept building was becoming overwhelming pretty quickly.  The entire purpose of 5 Fandom Friday is to meet other bloggers, make new friends and find some new sites to read in the process which I’m so happy to have done so far!  I’ve added SO many new blogs to my Feedly and made so many new Twitter friends in the process that I’m totally satisfied with the experience so far and I hope you are too!  So enter, ~the new system~.  At the bottom of this post you’ll find a little blue button which allows you to enter the link to your post if you want to share it here (and I certainly hope you do!).  I think this is going to be great and work better for everyone involved.  Also, I just want to thank everyone who reached out to Megan and I with kind and supportive words last week when we were being harassed online.  We both can’t thank everyone enough for your support<3

Now, to my post intro!  This is the first week of 5 Fandom Friday that I’m choosing to use a variation on the topic Megan and I decided upon.  The original topic is Characters I Would Invite To My Thanksgiving Feast but I decided to write about the authors I would love to invite.  I’ve been on such a huge reading kick for the past 4 years (which I suppose classifies as more of a lifestyle choice now?) and there are so many fascinating authors that I would kill a turkey for a chance to dine with.  Plus, I’m really truly thankful for each of the people in this list because each has written something that’s affected me in its own unique way.  So, here they are!

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 7.48.24 AM1.  JK Rowling – If I wouldn’t immediately burst into tears the moment I would be within personal bubble range of JK Rowling, I would have SO many things to tell her I’m thankful for.  Harry Potter has and always will be my number one fandom as I’ve stated repeated online and IRL.  I have formed strong opinions on every single character in the series whether I want to kiss them or send them infinite death glares but no matter what they each make me FEEL something which is so important for writing to do.  Maybe these feelings have stuck with me for so long because I grew up with the characters and my impressions began forming at a young age, but OMG I would be fangirling uncontrollably if JK were sitting at my table.

2.  Neil Gaiman – The first time I met Neil Gaiman I babbled incoherently until he interrupted me and asked if I needed a hug.  When I met Neil yesterday I immediately went in for a hug and told him how excited I am to see him again and I like to think that the third time is a charm and should I cross paths with him again I would be able to interact like a semi-normal human being.  I find it confounding that Neil Gaiman has the exact same words to work with as everyone else does yet he manages to arrange them in such a captivating manner.  My only tattoo is a symbol from one of his works, my boyfriend and I began our relationship conversing about our mutual love of him, and I have more copies of the same titles of his books than any other author.  Plus, THAT VOICE!  So so so many thanks to Neil for existing and creating a better existence for all of us bibliophiles.

3.  Victoria Schwab – I started reading Victoria’s Archived series when it debuted and I immediately fell in love with the characters and the world she created.  I still firmly believe that The Unbound is the best sequel I have ever read.  Victoria manages to continue the story in a believable way because the main character is justifiably TRAUMATIZED by the events in the first book and it’s one of the only books I’ve read where the character admits that she’s not okay and realizes that it’s okay to not be okay.  Also, I am in LOVE with Guyliner (read it, you’ll get it!).  Victoria is by far my favorite person to follow on Twitter.  I love her general enthusiasm, the star stickers she places on her calendar for writing and the fact that she’s the same age as me and has written SO MANY BOOKS.  She is a super-human and I would love a chance to interact with her in real life.
4.  Rainbow Rowell – Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl really tugged at my heartstrings.  Cath was one of the most relatable characters I’ve ever read about and it’s because she is the ultimate Fangirl.  She feels so intensely passionate about a book series similar to Harry Potter (you may catch the relatability here) that she begins writing fan fiction at a young age and establishes herself online as one of the most prominent fanfic writers.  The story takes place when Cath is dealing with a lot of change in her life and I just wanted to hug her and tell her everything would be okay.  And read more of her fanfiction!  I’m thankful to Rainbow for writing such a compelling story about a fan and for crafting a story about fanfiction because it’s interesting to see an author justify it.
5.  Stephanie Perkins – I recently just finished reading Lola and the Boy Next Door and I read Anna and the French Kiss a few months ago and holy cow I experienced all the feelings from both of these stories.  Anna and Etienne and Lola and Cricket are matches made in heaven and I cannot even describe how enthusiastically I jumped up and down when Anna and Etienne appeared in Lola and Cricket’s story.  Stephanie Perkins seriously knows how to write a love story.  There were even times where I thought I was going to burst into tears because of how much I was rooting for certain characters to get together.  If you haven’t read them yet, DO IT!
 Loading InLinkz ...

January 9th – My Favorite Things About Winter
January 16th – Conventions I’ve Been To Or Wish To Attend
January 23rd – Songs That Changed My Life
January 30th – Favorite Fandom Accessories I Own
Bloglovin ♥ Twitter ♥ Instagram ♥ YouTube ♥ Goodreads ♥ Pinterest
 Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 6.58.06 PM

27 Responses to “5 Fandom Friday: Authors I Would Love To Invite To My Thanksgiving Feast”

I LOVE the new box at the end of your post to add your own link! I’m planning to join you next week :)

I love that you changed it up a bit! And I love your list! I think I’d invite JK too!

3. Travis says:

Doing authors was such a great idea! I absolutely love this list. Especially JK! Also, loving the new link up system! Super easy. :D

4. Vanessa says:

Great list! I would fill my own with authors too! And Neil Gaiman and JK Rowlings would be on there too! I think Rainbow would have to make the cut too. She’s darling.

5. Gaby says:

Firstly: sorry that I missed something last week, but I had NO idea you and Megan were being harrassed! How rude! You guys are amazing and I can’t imagine why someone would be mean! but anyways… What a great dinner this would be! In addition to Neil, I’d want Erin Morgenstern, Storm Constantine, and JR Tolkien at my author feast! And maybe we can all sit around and write an epic multi author novel at the end, like in the Simpsons episode with Neil, haha

-Gr

Thank you so much Gaby!!! You’re awesome too and I am totally in love with your thanksgiving table sketch!!! And OMG yes Tolkien would be AMAZING to have as well. I can’t believe I forgot to include him!!! I met Erin Morgenstern recently at NYCC and she was the sweetest!!!!

6. Kendall says:

I love the author bent you put on this one! This would be such an AMAZING dinner! Neil Gaiman and JK Rowling in the same room? OMG, I’d die!

7. I love that you chose your five from your favorite authors! What a great idea, and now I have some new authors to read! (and YES to Neil Gaiman!!! “Captivating” is the perfect word to describe his writing – I’m reading Neverwhere right now and I can’t put it down! Which of his books is your favorite?)

I am so sorry you and Megan were being harassed – I didn’t hear about it, but that is such rubbish. You both are awesome!!!

Right?!? It’s SO hard to choose just one favorite but book-wise I would probably say Coraline and comic-wise, Sandman of course! My tattoo is from the Sandman series! And thank you so much<333

Love love love your choices, and I totally agree that these people would be amazing to meet and talk to (though I have to admit, I have not read either Rainbow Rowell or Stephanie Perkins – but only hear great things about their books & I own a few, eek!).

Another YA author I think you’d like and would likely be able to see (because you’re in NYC-area) is Sarah J. Maas. She writes the Throne of Glass fantasy series, which is fun – but she is super personable and so, so nice online & in person. AND she’s into so much geeky stuff, it’s amazing.

Ahhh Alice you HAVE to read Fangirl ASAP!! You will love it sooooo much! I totally just added the Throne of Glass books to my wish list earlier this week!! Everyone has been raving about them and I think it’s definitely time that I read them!

• Alice says:

Re: Fangirl – I know! I actually own all of Rainbow Rowell’s books but just haven’t read them because I am crazy or something. I don’t know, lol. My sister read Fangirl though, and she ADORES IT. I think I’ll try to get to it this holiday season. :D

And yes, Throne of Glass is very readable and fun, though the 1st book was a little so-so for me. But they get better with each book!

9. Joie Fatale says:

Oh man! Love this! If I invited 5 authors, Neil and JK would be on mine too! As well as Jasper Fforde, Jane Austen, and K. A. Applegate (cause I still ship Cassie and Jake from Animorphs!).

Love the Authors take on this week’s theme!

I’ve been meaning to read Jasper Fforde’s books! Where would you recommend starting?

• Joie Fatale says:

Oooh! Good question!
        I’d have to stay start with Shades of Grey (NOT to be confused with that other series) book 1 : The Road to High Saffron. Its post-“something that happened” but you dont learn what just yet. Theres a class system based on color perception and socio-political intrigue. However its still humorous!

I think that its a GREAT book to see what Jasper is about how he writes, and a feel from his sense of humor.

If not there, Thursday Next (book one is The Eyre Affair) or Nursery Crime (The Big Over Easy).

I started with Nursery Crime and then read Thursday. It worked well for me because NC is a “spin-off” and by reading it first it was one book then, after reading Thursday I re-read it and it became a bit more hilarious because there’s some inside humor.

Also he has a YA trilogy the 3rd just came out a month or two ago. The Last Dragonslayer is the first book. They’re nice short reads.

Hope this helps. Sorry about typos and such (on my mobile).

That’s perfect!! Thank you so so much! I just added a bunch of them to my wish list. I really appreciate you taking the time to give such an in depth recommendation!

10. Claire says:

I love this list, think of all the book talk at the dinner table!

11. Melissa says:

Neil Gaiman is a genius! If I met him words would totally fail me. : )

Hi Kristin, I have a doubt concerning next week’s topic (Black Friday Purchases I Would Sacrifice A Night Of Sleep For): does it mean only those things on sale during the Black Friday or is it more like a wishlist in general?

13. […] to start up a new weekly segment – 5 Fandoms Friday. I got this idea from a blog I came across; SuperSpaceChick. She basically gives everyone a topic, and you take that and create your list, which suits me […]

14. […] Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog? My most popular posts this year are Authors I Would Invite To My Thanksgiving Feast and  my review of the Sideshow Collectibles Mary Jane Watson statue.  It was so much fun to write […]

15. […] Always Make Me Feel Better November 14th: Smart Phone Apps I Cannot Live Without November 21st: Authors I Would Invite To My Thanksgiving Feast November 28th: Black Friday Purchases I Would Sacrifice A Night Of Sleep For December 5th – My […]